1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is an optical cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rothgar, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Rothgar

Rothgar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V357 AV receiver and I want to connect it to my Toshiba SD-350 dvd player. Now on the back of the receiver there are two ports covered with a piece of rubber each. In the manual it shows connecting to a dvd with this and shows the cable type as optical.

In the dvd manual it shows connecting to a receiver via co-axial digital cable.
    Is this the one and the same thing? Looking on different websites for cables I've found co-axial digital cables and also fibre optic cables. I'm confused!

At the moment they're connected via composite? (red, white connectors) but as I understand it optical/co-axial is digital and will give better sound reproduction.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Coaxial and optical are not the same, though both carry digital audio formats.
    Which you choose depends on the connections at your equipment as there is generally no audible difference between the two types.

White & red is typically (analog) audio L&R, yellow is composite. Cables with red, white and yellow are called AV leads, often found as a freebie with some equipment and even more often of poor quality. ;)
    Using an optical or coaxial connection for the sound will usually result in better sound (as the amp does the decoding work) and reduces cabling, in particular if you want to enjoy 5.1 surround sound (1 digital cable vs. 6 analog ones).

3. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same amp and I have connected my dvd player to the coaxial CD input for the digital sound source as my dvd player does not have an optical out.

Works fine after a bit of practice with the amp setup!

4. Rothgar

Rothgar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that is what I'll have to do as the SD350 does not have an optical port.

5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an optical cable for my 5.1 set up from my dvd player and I must admit I prefer it to the coaxial link....with the added bonus that the light traveling through the cable wont be affected by any unwanted signals from other kit

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If it's light than you are using an optical link, not coaxial. You are however correct that an optical connection can prevent such unwanted signals, e.g. the hum from a ground loop (where applicable).

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure thats what I said ....sorry if I said it in a confusing manner...What I meant is that my kit has the option of both digital coaxial and optical....my personal preference is the optical output :thumbsup: