What is an eSIM

psychopomp1

here you go

ian34g

Thanks for that. Looking at the new SE iphone and wondered about it's use.
I've had dual sim phones before and thought it could be useful and if the Carphone Warehouse info is accurate Plusnet (EE) should be able to use it so I could move my personal sim to the eSIM and use the works sim in the normal slot.

psychopomp1

No, Plusnet don't support eSim yet despite using the EE network. According to Apple here, its only direct customers of EE, O2, Truphone and Ubigi who can use an eSim in their smartphone.

ian34g

No, Plusnet don't support eSim yet despite using the EE network. According to Apple here, its only direct customers of EE, O2, Truphone and Ubigi who can use an eSim in their smartphone.
Typical. So good for Apple to start supporting dual sim phones after years without but they support a new way of doing it that isn't supported wholesale by the networks.
Hopefully since EE do support it and being part of the BT/(Plusnet) empire they will allow them on Plusnet in the near future.

KayCS

Having bought a SE2020 curiosity has got this cat too.:smashin:

My previous main phone was a dual SIM Android and I use a Plusnet SIM as primary with an o2 Classic PAYG SIM as secondary for the odd times I can’t get a EE signal.

As none of the UK providers do PAYG eSIM’s the only way to get dual SIM usability at the moment is to use a global SIM?

One that has caught my eye is esim.net offering that has reasonable PAYG rates and roams on UK networks. The only downside I can see is after 3 months you have to pay $1 a month or 81p there about in real money but that’s not bad as even 1p mobile cost £2-50 a month with its £10 top up every 4 months.

Just got my mouse hovering over the buy button but just trying to get some users reviews, thought that said the initial outlay is about £8 ($10) so not much at risk.:)

KayCS

Beware this is a long post… :D

So I took the plunged and these are my finding for anyone wanting to try this eSIM larky in there brand new SE2020, or any other phones with the eSIM hardware.

The eSIM I’m using is from esim.net and the first thing I noticed is the eSIM only uses the 3 UK and o2 networks while here at home in the mainland, so I assume England, NI, Scotland and Wales so worth bearing in mind if you want this SIM to cover a not-spot at home that’s only covered by Vodafone or EE but for myself using an MVNO EE SIM is not a problem as I now have two other unrelated networks as backup.

If your going down this road go to the esim.net website and purchase a Global eSIM, now you can click on the UK version or any other region they have listed there but what I can make of it all the links bring you back to the Global eSIM with the same rates. I’ve just checked the cost on my credit card of the eSIM / Top-up and the $10 price comes back as £8-12p in real money but other credit and debit bank cards may have different exchanged rates but it should be around £8 at today’s exchanged rate.

Now the set-up procedure and it’s here I ran into a little hick-up? After you pay for your eSIM you will get an email containing a downloadable PDF file of your receipt and another pdf file with a Q-Code along with manual settings should you need them. It should be a simple matter of snapping that QC on your phone when using “Add Data Plan” on your SE2020 but I found for some reason as soon as my phone seen any part of the QC the phone would lock then 10 to 20 seconds later a pop up would say something along the lines of “can’t set up right now, please try again later”.

No matter how many times I tried I just couldn't get that QC lined up in the phone properly so don’t know if its just my phone (no other QC problems noted before) or a set-up software problem. I tried the manual way using the manual settings in the email of which there are two, one being SM-DP-Address and the other being an Activation Code but the phone after inputting the previous two settings then asked for a Confirmation Code and even though it says on the phone that this code is “optional” I could not get past that menu so still no go.

So now left with the option of using there email support and they say in there guff they will get back to you in a very short time and true to there word they replied within 3 minutes however they just said try to enter the code manually but of course I’d already done that. Replied to them saying I did not get the Confirmation Code that the phone is asking for but it seems you don’t need that code after all and some how after manually entering the other two codes a few more times it suddenly connected but haven't got a clue what I did that was different although I was doing things like turning Wi-Fi off and on or just using the data network of my ordinary SIM card but scratch my head as to what made it work in the end, could have been something esim.net end that changed, I don’t know but before I got a second reply from the provider it was working.

So now its working and within a minute I get an SMS over the eSIM with my UK phone number on. Once I had that I could start putting it through its paces making a few calls and sending and receiving a few text and all that works just fine.

Tried swapping between the two usable networks of o2 and 3UK and both worked fine too even though while my 3UK signal is needle bending o2 only comes in at two bars but still no problems.

One last word, if you look at the countries where you can use this global esim you will notice that Italy is not listed and looking in the network settings in my phone for this eSIM under “Network Provider Services” the service there in have Italian sounding names so assume that's why or should I say, that's why I think this eSIM doesn’t work in Italy but I’m not sure 100% if that’s true.

Dave X

The eSIM I’m using is from esim.net and the first thing I noticed is the eSIM only uses the 3 UK and o2 networks
One thing you missed is the fact it also charges for incoming calls, not expensive ($0.0177 per minute) but still something to think about.

5D6BFAD0-4B57-4D7D-8474-EB0757DF7B41.jpeg

KayCS

@Dave X

I've not over looked the incoming charges, thought I did mention it above but turns out it was on another forum.:facepalm:

As I noted on the other forum that you still have your everyday SIM in the phone and would be the SIM that takes your normal incoming calls. For myself I'm only using the eSIM as a backup for out going calls and will never give the number out to anyone.

While I'm on thought I'd just say that I did a couple of speed test today and on o2 got 10 Mbs down and 3 up and using 3UK got a very poor 2 down and 10 up but could of just been a busy time on their networks but overall the internet was usable as a back up excluding streaming.