1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is an acceptable level of fan noise?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlexR, Aug 22, 2004.

1. AlexR

AlexR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I need some advice....

I've just bought a Pioneer 320-S from Techtronics. Delivered on Friday. It's all great apart from the fan noise. The fan comes on just after the recorder is taken out of standby mode. It is irritating. It sounds as noisy as my old VCR.

Before I go through the hassle of returning it, I would like to know whether I should expect to have put up with some fan noise. Will the replacement from Techtronics be equally noisy? Will Techtronics say that the recorder is working just fine?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Cheers
    Alex

2. get1a2get1a2

get1a2get1a2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not as noisy as the fan on a tornado gr3 jet boy that is noisy

3. get1a2get1a2

get1a2get1a2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you read the terms and conditions on techronics there are pain in the arse i would nerver deal with them again

4. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To be honest, I've had 3 dvd recorders recently (a JVC, Toshiba and now a pioneer). The pioneer is the quietest out of all three of them ! You do get fan noise with recorders unfortunately !

5. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have a Pioneer DVR-3100 recorder and that fan is noisy (ish).

You can only really notice it when it's on and the TV is off. I can't hear it when I'm watching the TV I can only really hear it in a quiet room.

So, how noisy is it?

6. AlexR

AlexR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses.

You can only really hear it if the TV is off or TV goes quiet. Is that reasonable? I thought the main point of a DVD recorder is to improve the viewing experience not degrade it!!

From the Techtronics Ts & Cs it looks as though I can get a full refund providing I return it within 7 working days. I will be liable for cost of return. I will check this out with them.

As an aside, I've just downloaded some footage off my camcorder using the DV link. I've found the camcorder noise to be emphasized and pulsing. Have I missed something in the setup?

Cheers
    Alex

7. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks to distance-selling regulations, you can do that anyway, Alex. If you're prepared to absorb the carriage costs, move without delay! :D

As for noise levels, my Sony recorder isn't silent - though quickly becomes inaudible once other components are switched on and the volumes moved to low or moderate levels. Thankfully, it is a fairly low frequency sound and so, is easily 'cancelled out' by television audio (for example). I'm rather sensitive to fan noise <snarls at PCs... :laugh: > and feared the worst, once I'd switched on the Sony. Though I can very occasionally hear it (at a very low level), it is generally forgotten :smashin:

Good luck with everything :)

8. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only really use mine to record when I'm not there, and then obviously playback when I return.

As for watching a DVD film (as opposed to recorded TV) I have another machine for that which is a player only so I only have the recorder on when I'm out or other noise is on in the room.

I too hate noise, PC fans are especially noisy (that's why I work on an Apple Mac G5!) but they are necessary, however I wouldn't reject a machine just because it had some fan noise, who knows the next one you get might be even noisier, or just the same. It seems from the replies so far there is a level of fan noise with most machines.

As for the camera problem I can't comment much as I don't have one to test, let's hope someone else can chime in. But I would ask, how old is the camera and how many times has your camera media been recorded over? Have you tried a brand new (branded) tape and disk? Make sure all your power cables are neatly away from your interconnects. Can you play the footage through the recorder and view it on the TV, do you still get the camera noise, try to work out if it's the camera or the recorder.