1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Superbit dvd?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ice_cool, Nov 18, 2001.

1. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a Superbit dvd?

i found this at play.com

The Superbit titles utilize a special high bit rate digital transfer process which optimizes video quality while offering a choice of both DTS and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. All Superbit DVDs start with High Definition masters. The Superbit Collection will set a new benchmark in high resolution DVD image and sound, creating the ultimate in home entertainment. By reallocating data normally used for value-added content, Superbit DVDs can be encoded at double their normal bit rate while maintaining full compatibility with the DVD-Video format. The result is picture quality that provides outstanding detail. Superbit DVDs play on all DVD players. Currently DVDs are encoded to optimize space for the feature plus added value and audio streams. The Superbit collection reallocates and converts the physical space ordinarily devoted to added value to higher bit rate video transfer and both Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS audio.

is this right?

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Hi m8. Yep! that about covers it.

Superbit disks have no extras or fancy menu systems on them.
    All they have is top notch picture and full blown DD5.1 and DTS audio tracks that are not as compressed as normal DVD's.

I have two so far and will be adding more. They are amazing.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,605
    :rolleyes:
    It's in the FAQ (above) AND in at least 2 other threads (via the search button also above).

4. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And they do seem to work - I bought Johnny Mnemonic (not everyones fave film I know) but I enjoyed it and the Superbit version is as sharp, and the sound quality is as good, as many modern titles.

5. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Vhat ez ze Superbit? How about how DVDs should have looked all along? How 'bout, a new way to charge us extra for them to be bothered to do DVD right? Check out THE PLEDGE. It looks as good as the three SB titles I've seen, AIR FORCE ONE, DESPERADO, and THE FIFTH ELEMENT.

As the owner of an HDTV monitor, I feel like SB's is a bone being thrown out to see if DVD done right, will satisfy our digital resoluton desires. Having viewed some of the better looking Muse Laserdiscs from Japan, I know better is possible! SB's just makes me want a higher format more....Best wishes!