What is a SteelBook?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & 4K Steelbooks' started by Ronnie3067, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Ronnie3067

Ronnie3067
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,379
    What is a SteelBook?

Some might think this is a bit of a silly question considering I own a few of them but with more people buying Plain Archive, Blufans, Filmarena, Novamedia, HDzeta or [insert other retailer I may have missed], I have been asking myself this very question.

Is it the actual SteelBook or is it the lenticular, slipcase, art cards or other extras? I have seen, especially on HDN, many pictures of SteelBooks but the image is of the lenticular, slipcase, etc so you frequently don’t see the SteelBook itself.

Also there appears to be a few folks who will only buy a SteelBook if it has some or all of the extras mentioned above and deride a SteelBook that doesn’t have them. You just have to look through the threads to see ‘cancelling the Zavvi’ comments even though the SteelBook will be the same.

So come on, give me your opinions as to what constitutes a SteelBook?

2. Vid

Vid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,165
    Go on then I will start.

I don't care about special inside gubbings or lenti's although I have some. A Steelbook is worth having when it has a good design with some emotion to go with it. Don't matter to me if it is gloss or matt long as the film inside is the best we can get and the paint, embossing or debossing has had some thought put into it and hopefully has some point to the movie.

Some examples are Dredd Mondo for it's emotion, although I am not keen on all Mondo designs. Rush UK now that has real appeal to me because of it's simplistic design and pushes across it's intent with the go faster stripe.

Lots of others but it usually boils down to the actual movie and design for me, inside gimmicks or outside is not required.

3. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Ive personally never seen people cancel if a steelbook is a steelbook lol.
    to me its all that matters. Nice tin with artwork i like.

4. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,171
    I certainly get the impression that the steelbooks themselves in those retailer collections you mention are becoming less important and it is all about the extras. Seen plenty not liking the artwork for a steelbook (something that used to be of paramount importance!) but it's OK as it'll be covered by the slipbox anyway, and look at all those extras etc so must buy.

Look at those who buy the same steelbook multiple times purely because it comes with different artwork slipboxes. That John Wick FA release comes with (if you buy both versions) a T-shirt, Mug, Coaster, Notepad, Poster, Art cards etc... basically the contents of a Lootcrate/ZBox :laugh:, though obviously it's tat when it's in one of those ;)

I think it's more these extras come with a steelbook rather than the steelbook comes with extras! :D

Each to their own but to me what constitutes a steelbook is the steelbook itself, don't care for extras personally.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  5. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,342
    Novamedia Avengers steelbook 'One click combo':facepalm:

My friend was trying to order the set & I was o_O

6. Ronnie3067

Ronnie3067
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,379
    If I chip into my own thread - I noticed that Filmarena has a version of Ex Machina that looks the same as the Zavvi one but folks are wondering if it'll come with a full slip! So they want to cover up what most peeps say is a lovely looking SteelBook with a slip just because it is from Filmarena.

7. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,342
    I can just about understand people keeping their steelbooks sealed as they can still see the steelbook through the cellophane & appreciate the design of the steelbook...but a slipcover over a steelbook:facepalm:

What next? Exclusive Novamedia steelbook in slipcase, sealed in limited numbered black box?
    Oooohhh that'd be cool!:facepalm::laugh:

8. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    All steelbooks are really are fancy tins for film collectors that are nice to look at, even show off, which are a step above the usual generic amaray fare. That's essentially all they are to me, although over time I've come to appreciate their detailing more.

So long as a steelbook has appropriate art on the outside and ideally on the inside too then it's all good. Any embossing, debossing, gloss finishes and the like are all gravy on top.

Lenticular and various sized slip covers, art cards etc. are nice little extras but for me none of that gubbins 'makes' a steelbook.

Actually to be honest, the first thing I think about when I see a steelbook I like is what the transfer of the film on the disc inside is like? :p

9. whiskeyrich

whiskeyrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    For me a steelbook is a shiny metal tin with (most of the time) exclusive art work. I'm not fussed about slip covers and extra gumpf that comes with some editions, I don't have room for all that stuff. I do get a bit jealous of people who can afford to buy nice foreign editions like Plain Archive's Zero Dark Thirty and the Blufans releases, but I don't have the kind of money to spend on those kind of items. I have a huge credit card bill as it is and a wife with a shopping addiction!
    Maybe one day I'll be able to shell out on some nice editions like that, but for the moment I'm happy with HMV, Amazon and Zavvi releases.

10. SFkilla

SFkilla
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,811
    For me a steelbook is a collectable item which should be as limited as possible (amount of copies available) I try to go for movies i love/like first but i do go for a few blind buys from time to time (depending on artwork and price) The only extras that catch my attention are usually the Lenticular Magnets because they don't take more space and give a nice extra look. I often stare at the Asian market releases but rarely go for them because of the various reasons that have been stated in the posts above (usually price/space and hiding the steelbook itself)

11. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    I am partial to a nice slipcover and other extras but they only serve as a compliment to a Steelbook. The Steelbook itself is of course the most important thing for me.

This does get on my nerves. I think it is simply the fanboy and hype culture at HDN. I think a lot of people there have lost the ability to have their own opinion, they just go with the flow because otherwise the certain cliques of collectors will ridicule them. If you post a perfectly reasonable negative opinion in a Film Arena or Asian retailer thread for example, expect to be told to stick to Zavvi.

There does seem to be people who consider the extras more important than the Steelbook itself. I find it baffling that people buy a terrible Steelbook (e.g. Commando from Film Arena) because it has a slipcover covering the artwork. I also find it a bit strange that some collectors love it when retailers include useless tat (e.g. dog tags with Saving Private Ryan from HDzeta) but when Zavvi do it (e.g. police badge with Dredd) they are rip off merchants even though it was proved that the price they were charging was quite reasonable. The aforementioned John Wick is a funny one too. If it was a replica of his car or a plush toy of his dog from the movie, I could maybe understand the appeal. As you say though it is just a bunch of unrelated items much like a ZBOX except people at HDN are loving it.

I agree on this it defeats the point of buying a Steelbook. The worst ones are the tripack editions e.g. Amelie from KimchiDVD. Three copies of an identical Steelbook with different slipcovers in a big box. I couldn't believe it when people at HDN said they were going to keep it sealed. :laugh:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. smabu

smabu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    I usually go for Asian releases which have lenti slips, and only if I like the film and steelbook art. They often hold value better if you want to trade or need a quick sale for whatever reason. I personally couldn't care less about the extra's included, not interested in artcards/postcards/numbered cards or whatever other sh*te they throw in. They don't often re-stock OOS items and most of the Asian companies are more involved with the people buying them and listening to feedback etc.

I'd rather pay an extra £10/£15 and give it to a a deserving company than one like Zavvi who are perennial disappointments. That's not to say I don't use Zavvi etc, but it's much rarer now than it was a couple of years back.

13. R4963

R4963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am not in the know enough to be aware that there are Steelbooks with lenti cases or slip covers. Although I like the idea.
    I keep a my steels in stransparent slip covers to protect them as they scratch so easily. Also I like to keep the card or paper insert that comes with it as it has so much content on it and looks really good and completes it. I think it looks really good. See attached
    image. I also hate Zaavi, appalling packaging and customer service.
    PSX_20150627_164101.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  14. Vid

Vid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,165
    More interestingly mate it appears you like to protect the spine in your slip covers ? I do the opposite but each to our own ;)

15. R4963

R4963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What can I say I'm just a back to front kind of person ;)

16. Ronnie3067

Ronnie3067
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,379
    I protect the spines on mine as well but I have the flap to the back so it's not visible.

17. The Ringmaster

The Ringmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
    Three things that define a steelbook for me...

1. The film itself I have either seen and enjoyed or I want to see.

2. The artwork itself (and compliments number 1) including finish, colours, image placement, emboss/deboss and inner art.

3. Less important but the build of the steelbook. We know some are heavier than others and some feel better made than others, so if it doesn't feel right in hand then it probably isn't.

I don't really care about numbered, lenti's, free gifts, art cards etc as long as the above 3 are covered.

18. Lights 31

Lights 31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Well I resisted slips for a while, but I bought the john wick nova and since then I'm hooked lol. I think that they compliment steelbooks well and I like the booklets with them.

I like the new film arena releases that include a photobook. I think they make the release a bit more special.

It's quite anoying that some steelbooks are just underwhelming due to their uninspired art or the fact that they have a poor quality finish. It like the studios are just releasing a steelbook because the are popular and don't give a damn.