• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What is a scaler and why do I need it

R

ricky1

hi there , i still haven't got round to buying my plasma yet .i kept on changing my mind ,i have £2000 to spend but my question is .

what is a scaler and why would i use one or need one for .
any advice is great, i will be buying either 37" or 42 " but still not sure what to get .

plasma is only for watching freeview and dvds mainly .

thanks

LFCRules

ricky1 said:
hi there , i still haven't got round to buying my plasma yet .i kept on changing my mind ,i have £2000 to spend but my question is .

what is a scaler and why would i use one or need one for .
any advice is great, i will be buying either 37" or 42 " but still not sure what to get .

plasma is only for watching freeview and dvds mainly .

thanks

Hi,

I've moved this thread over from the plasma forum to the scaler forum where you will get some good replies from those in the know ;). Also, I'd suggest you do a quick search for the scaler forum for similar questions and answer to help you along :)

Cheers

Andy

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello ricky1

An external Video Processor has multiple functions - for some folk its simply a very convenient way to connect lots of Video sources to a Display using a single cable.

For other folk the important bit is how well the Video Processor deals with the various Source signals you send it - Video, Film, Pal, NTSC, Standard Definition, High Definition, Interlaced, Progressive etc... and how well the Video Processor matches those Sources to the Video engine in your Display.

The best Video Processors are fully programmable and allow you to customise settings for each Input Source and enable you to have the best match with your Display no matter what Source your viewing.

If you connect your Sources direct to your Display then the Display uses its own Video engine to convert the Source signals to match the pixels on the Display - mostly the Video engines in Displays are pretty rudimentary and given the budget can be improved upon by the technology employed in a decent external Video Processor.

With a 2K budget and a 42" Display in your cross hairs I'd forget about external Processor for now and instead concentrate on getting a Display that does a good job on its own and is equipped with the fundaments you require as and when you have the budget for a decent external Video Processor.

For a 42" 'HD Ready' Display + programmable external Video Processor your realistically looking at £3 > £3.5K.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom