What is a 'Rooted' phone?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Per156GTA, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Per156GTA

Per156GTA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    My HTC Hero has crashed and HTC want £320 to repair it - so looking on ebay there are loads of Hero phones at around £150/£170, but some are Rooted.

Can someone explain what a Rooted phone is? If I bought one would I need to do anything other than insert my SIM and start using it? Do I need to install any software or is a Rooted phone ready to go??

Some state they are running Android 2.2, others state they are running FroyoVillainROM 1.6.0 - is one better than the other? What should I be looking for?

What does this mean exactly - would I need to do anything with the phone other than set it up with my numbers which I have stored on Google, and install my chosen apps?

Cheers

Per

2. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Rooted means somebody has 'hacked' (for want of a better word) the software to allow a very low level administrative access that is ordinarily blocked. It allows you and applications access to things you wouldn't normally have access to, so hacks, cracks, unauthorised software and changes to the software can be made.

If you're familiar with iPhone Jailbreaking, this is the Android version.

It can be used to make simple changes to software, to unlock or change functionality. It can also be used to install an entirely new version of Android, which is the 'ROM' reference you're reading. A ROM in this case is effectively the entire Android operating system, but a customised version created by somebody who wanted to add, remove, tweak or optimise features.

In terms of use, it depends entirely on the ROM in question. Bearing in mind these are versions of Android that somebody has changed, they can be superb or an absolute liability. A lot of testing goes into the factory versions of Android, so just consider that when going for something that one man has created in his bedroom and posted to the internet. They can be very safe, but just do your homework first and expect to spend time updating things regularly if problems are found.

That said, you can still 'Root' the standard Android OS and not really change anything, so being Rooted alone isn't anything to worry about, other than the fact all warranty goes out of the window.

There are plenty of online guides that explain things much better and in much more detail than me :)

3. Telemaddad

Telemaddad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13