1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Receiver good for, anyway?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alefsin, Mar 24, 2005.

1. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably a stupid question but I'm a total noob in audio/video devices.

My question is, if you have a good DVD player like Panasonic S97 connected to your LCD with HDMI, then why would you ever need to add another expensive component like a Panasonic SA-XR70 receiver to it? What is the function of the receiver besides having a possibly more powerful (in terms of RMS) audio output? Does the receiver add anything to the PQ or SQ? or it is just for adding more connectivity? :confused:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Imo, the AV amplifier Is the heart of home cinema.

You would use one if you wanted 5.1 sound in your living room. The ‘5’ part stands for two front speakers (l&r), two rear speakers (l&r) and a centre channel. The’.1’ part stands for the subwoofer.

Basically, they decode Dolby Digital and DTS to deliver a home cinema experience in your living room. The amp selects and boosts low-level audio signals to an amplitude which is capable of driving your loudspeakers.

3. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmm, but players like Pana S97 or Denon 2910 already have a dolby/DTS decoder. Aren't they enough for a medium sized room?

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    It may contain the decoders but does not contain the amplification needed to drive the speakers.

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Unfortunately they don't amplify the signal, the job of the receiver is to take the signal from the DVD player, split it up and fire it out to multiple speakers. If you take a 2910 for example and plug it into a TV with a dolby digital decoder, you won't be able to listen to DTS soundtracks, even though your dvd player is dts capable, you need a receiver or some other kind of Processor/power amp setup to be able to hear that soundtrack.

6. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is getting very confusing! S97 or 2910 have got a set of 5.1 audio output connectors, but they can't drive speakers?! Then why they are there in the first place? If I'm going to need a separate amplifier anyway, then why would I ever use those 6, separate audio connectors? Virtually all amplifiers with 5.1 (or more) outputs have some digital inputs and a sane person would only use digital audio ouput of the DVD player to connect to them. What am I missing here? :confused:

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Older amplifiers may not have DTS only DD inwhich case if your DVD player decodes DTS (not just dts digital out) then you can plug this directly into the amp as your dvd player is doing the decoding.

You could also connect powered speakers directly into the DVD players 6 ch output, but in general it is felt that a reciever alows better sound. You can use passive speakers, which are the most general kind, you can often perform some sort of sound balancing and delay which a dvd may not. Recievers also have DSP's for stereo sources which enchance normal TV/VHS and non DD/DTS encoded sources.

I can take your point of "why do all modern dvd player decode dd and have 6 chnl output if its not gonna be used" but unless you have an old or crappy receiver the sound will almost definately be better from the receiver. Also why do nearly all PC's have serial and parallell ports, they are not gonna be used but they are there.
    I have never heard a side by side test between similar priced seprates and dvd with powered speakers, don't think a magazine has done a DVD player with cheapish powered speakers vs an all in one vs cheap sperates. Which one would perform better for the money, i would like to think it would be the seperates.

In truth when it comes to sound quality it is often the amplifier which can have a large degree of influance on this, and also colour the sound. The ampliers in cheaper powered speakers will often be poor. Although some of the most expenisve speakers around are powered, there is a reason for that, and it's probably down to the specalised amplifer inside.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    To add to gazbarber’s point, you can connect speakers directly to the dvd player but only if they are active speakers (speakers that contain the amplification within their enclosure). The reason why people don’t do this is mainly because active speakers are 1) more costly and 2) quite rare. Most of the speakers you will see in your local hifi/av dealer will be passive speakers.

Remember the connections on the dvd player are also there to enable the playback of DVD-Audio and SACD. If you are not able to utilise I-link between dvd and amp then you would have to connect them via phono cables to enable multi-channel music.

In the same way, you can connect the dvd to amp via an analogue interconnect to listen to stereo/cd's. Connecting it this way will utilise the dvd players DACs; if you didn’t want to use the dvd DACs then connecting it via optical to the amp would use the amps DACs.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    they are preeout line level connections
    DVD-Aand SACD use these analogue outs, and vrey high dvd players often have better DACs than a mid price amp

10. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Alefsin - you're not missing the point as there really isn't much need for DD and DTS decoding on a DVD player.

It will rarely be utitilised by anyone but I guess the cost 'these days' to add these processes are cheap and they fatten the number of features on the players spec.

6 analogue outputs are great if you want DVD-A or SACD but IMHO do most people really benefit from it? I doubt it.

IMO, the only benefit to on board processing is if you already have an old Prologic amp which has 5.1 inputs.

11. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    That's true :)

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Even your £20/£30 supermarket jobbies will have DD/DTS decoding!

13. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot guys. Finally I'm getting to understand the whole picture and now I can understand why people are all the time trying hard to mix and match different boxes to get just "good" quality A/V.

I have to say it's a bit frustrating and intimidating. 3 years ago, I entered DVD world buying an AIWA HT-DV90 which was an all-in-one box with the decoder, amplifier, universal remote and came with a set of 5.1 speakers. Guess that system spoiled me and I though every other system should be like that. HT-DV90 was good enough for 2002, but in 2005 I'd like to upgrade. It is just today that I've realized this is not a simple matter at all. HDMI is just entering the market. Even many new systems do not support it. In 6 months or 1 year we expect to have first Blueray/HD-DVDs in the market and HDTV is no longer a dream. Nobody knows for sure that Blueray/HD-DVD players would support normal DVDs in the first place or not and God knows if they would something better than HDMI for the output or not (quite possible at some stage! HDMI like DVI has a limitation for the max resolution of the picture....).

Well, guess I have to read much more now to be able to select right components to have "just" good enough quality of A/V for 2005. :rolleyes:

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I'd say buy the best you can afford today, and get some good deals. In the few years when the technology is decent and steatled down get upgrade to the features you want. Othwerwise if you wait for blueray/HD ect... you'll be waiting forever as something even better will be "just around the corner" true blue ray and the new lot are looming but only on the high end and they will be buggy so i wouldn't bother unless you want to impress your buddies with your gadgets. They will probably be inferear in fetures, and compatability will always be a problem with new trechnology.

15. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be check out the denon DHT 500SD.

Probably the best 'one box' solution available at the moment :rolleyes:

16. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It could be check out the denon DHT 500SD.​

Thanks for the hint. Seems to be a very good all-in-one player, but I rather go for a system with HDMI output. Who knows, maybe denon would put it in the next version.

17. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he best one box system until i realised denon now have the 550 replacement.

Not sure about HDMI though, would doubt not.