What is a "pro style driver"?

brec

Novice Member
Just happened to run across a topic which featured the quoted phrase. And elsewhere I've often seen references to "pro" audio, both in discussions and in product model names. But I've not encountered an explanation of what "pro" denotes in the context of audio gear, if it's not merely marketing fluff. I can infer that "pro" gear might be better able to withstand being moved about from place to place, or perhaps to produce high SPL in large spaces as for concerts. But are there any audio-related functional attributes to distinguish "pro" drivers, or enclosures, or amps, from "home theater" equipment that a DIY home theater builder should know about?

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Pro gear will generally be more robust - both mechanically and electrically, but won't necessarily sound any better. It may also be more frequency limited - particularly subs, as if they are designed for music reproduction, they have no need to reproduce below 30Hz or so.

A pro speaker will probably shake off severe overload without damage. The voice coils are thicker, the magnetic flux higher and with a larger motor area, so the driver won't overheat as quickly. Crossovers will have protection devices to reduce peak output and dispersal of mid to high frequencies will be more tightly controlled.

Pro amplifiers generally feature more protection from clipping signals, overload, short circuit, that sort of thing. This doesn't make them sound any better, they will just keep going for longer!

12harry

Distinguished Member
Hi,
I agree with noiseboy72

-
-
-
  • Unfortunately few folk know much about the gear they are buying -or- selling, so as OP wondered - it often comes down to Marketing fluff.... although if there is any tech Info, that could help - along with the price..... but beware that price can be somewhat "Elastic" hence the same product can be offered over a 2:1 price range - Also watch the carriage costs.
  • Take care reading "Reviews" as you can't know if they have skin in the game.
As always, Buyer Beware applies.

FWIW - if you are new to buying audio, it's probably best to buy a complete system... rather than attempt to Mix'n'Match ( i.e. using unrelated gear =whatever the Sellers are pushing,)- as they say "the price is forgotten and the Quality remains"
Cheers.

Matyam

I use a 15" cerwin vega bass drivers which is not classed as hifi but will take a lot of abuse and does its job,also 18" bms Pro style driver for sub duties but hits hard from 30hz upwards but can do enough low down depending on cabinet.If you like loud pro drivers will help you on the way.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom