1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Polar 670xs crt?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by buns, May 15, 2001.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can someone shed any light???/ This is a brand new CRT projector for what is basically £2500!!! does that not open anyones eyes? PLease if anyone knows what this projector is like, would they tell me.

3. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks a bit like an Ellie to me...

... if so, it must be fantastic :)

(Too scared to say anything more about the Ellie)

4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I came across this CRT projector too. It does seem to good to be true I hope someone posts who knows the details about it.

Out of interest I phoned the contact number on the web page and the phone message said "Thank you for phoning Screens UK" So it must be something to do with them (they sell the Ellie don't they?)

5. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's an Ellie clone - it doesn't seem to have a line doubler.

6. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A line doubler is just an add in card...

Easily removed.

The case looks very Elli like though.

Ellie's are GREAT!

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just got off the phone taking to Jim at Screens UK and he said that this CRT is similar to the ones used in pubs for watching football and is not at all like the Ellie (you can't add a line doubler or anything like that). Jim did mention some new versions on the Ellie that are due out over the next year though and they sound very interesting :)

Cheers

Dave

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the help....sounds a bit like something we should stay away from, but if any of the guys who seem to know everything about projectors could give their opinion, i would be able to judge its potential even better!

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The Polar 670XS looks very similar to the Eclipse projector sold by MaxiVideo who are based in Sutton Coldfield nr Birmingham.

The Eclipse was a competitor to the old Seleco SVT150 projector from 4 years ago. It was/is a basic CRT projector designed for the budget end of the pub market. They had a softer picture than the 150 and 350 models from Seleco. I don't recall ever seeing 16:9 compatibility listed in the product specifications. The web site doesn't give much detail on the specifications of the Polar. I would be surprised if were able to accept a line doubler, though someone may correct me.

Although competition is a little stiffer now £2900 isn't a bad price for a new CRT projector with a free pull down screen. An SVP350 would be about £3500, an Ellie around £4000 and there's a huge choice of LCD and DLP projectors, but if money is tight and you want CRT without buying second-hand then the Polar 670XS may be worth a look.

Regards

10. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before the name 'ELLIE' came about I knew it as the maxivideotech DMP 1000 they also had a cheaper version known as the 'Ecilpse' which you found now as the polar 670xs. These are the original suppliers.
    Check this out for all the specs,
    http://www.maxivideotech.it

[ 19-05-2001: Message edited by: PaulO' ]