1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a good Sub for me? how about MS 909w?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by pumpkins, Sep 27, 2004.

1. pumpkins

pumpkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need advice for getting a new sub. The room size is about 15ft x 20ft x 8ft. I will be using the sub with my KEF Q15 bookshelf speakers. This will be the first time for me to buy a subwoofer. I am really not looking for the greatest “bang” for the buck. I know many subwoofers for movies emphasize on the 40-100Hz range. I rather have a subwoofer that is less boomy but can perform at frequency near 20Hz. But this is a subjective matter. While driving I am sure many experienced the ground shaking bass coming from someone else’s car. I do not understand these people who enjoy such overwhelming bass, but my point is that there are many people out there who are different from me and rather have a boomy subwoofer. Therefore by just reading online it is hard to determine whether a particular subwoofer is for me.

Although I will be using the subwoofer for both music and movies, it is more important to me that it performs well with music. Since I only have bookshelf speakers I really need a subwoofer to extend the bottom frequency range. I like for music to sound like the musicians are playing the instruments right in front of me. I am afraid the wrong sub would make things worst.

However, there is always the problem with the budget. So a particular subwoofer that interests me, and also in my budget range, is the Mordaunt-Short 909w. I haven’t found a place to listen to it yet. But I just want to know if this sub would work for me. I read the reviews, but they are written from a home-cinema perspective, so I didn’t know if it is one of those sub that provides too much energy in the 40Hz- 100Hz range but not enough below that. If this is not a good choice, please recommend another in similar price range.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I would hope that the two reviews at the top of the forum give some indication about the fact that the 909 can play a tune as well as merely shift air. A great deal of effort has gone into making the 909 produce an utterly flat response from 30-100hz and it broadly does so below that as well- this is helped by the adjustable eq notch filter we fit the 909 as well. I would hope that a listen would ensure to see if the 909 is what you are after- Marantz UK have the most up to date dealer list for our product.
    HTH
    Ed

3. pumpkins

pumpkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tons of fun :) . I will definately check out the 909. At the same time I hope someone can recommand more subs for me to consider.

So any other subwoofers that peform well with music in the same price range as the 909?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are interested in second hand subs I would have a close look at the REL Storm in the classified forum here as this seems ideal for your requirements as well as being half of your budget.

5. pumpkins

pumpkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much Ian, I tried to find some info on REL Storm, however most reviews are on REL Storm III. Nonetheless, I agree with REL’s philosophy.

“[Many subwoofers] add plenty of boom to a movie explosion, but sound bloated and detached with music. It was with this in mind that Lord launched his 'ST' range of active sub…” (HIFI Choice Mag)

From what I read, REL subwoofers seem to suit me. Unfortunately, I live in the US. I stumbled across this forum because I tend to favor British made speakers. They sound great and look fantastic. Anyway, I couldn’t find any used REL storm online in the US. New REL storm III here cost 4x the price of discounted MS 909w (and more than 2x for used).

It would be hard to justify spending that much money, Unless REL Storm III is absolutely PERFECT for me. :(

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have owned both a Storm 1 and Storm 3 and couldn't really tell much difference between them to be truthful.

I have heard the Mordaunt Short MS909 at a hifi show and it was very impressive but that was with film clips and not music. In view of the heritage of the company I can't see them making a sub that doesn't go well with music as they are primarily a hifi speaker manufacturer

7. user34

user34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. pumpkins

pumpkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone :thumbsup: , this forum is really helpful. User34, I will add the Onix rocket to my list of possibilities. Based on your opinion, is it better than MS 909? MS is relatively unknown in the US, and I think that forced the price down. I was able to find the 909 new online for US$ 499, which is equivalent to GBP 280. The onix rocket cost US $599 or GBP 334.

I won’t be making a purchase until I moved, so I will continue to review, but right now I am favoring the 909. Performance/sound wise, REL probably suits me better, but too expansive. I will try to give Onix rocket a listen. I found a site that connects the potential buyers to the owners of loudspeakers, so the potential buyers can audition the equipments:

www.audioenvy.com

If it is available in my area, I will even give SVS a listen, to hear what the fuss is all about.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is immoral as it is a British sub and £500 in it's land of origin which equates to $850.

If you listen to an SVS you may be pleasantly surprised as they work well with music but the downside is that they are large and difficult to hide in your room which puts a lot of people off.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Before anybody gets too upset about that price, I am pretty sure that relates to a cherry one which we are trying to dispense with.

11. user34

user34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never heard either UFW-10 or MS-909, it's just that on size and specifications they are comparable, and if it were available to me locally I would have had a go with the ONIX, because they have a satisfied or refund guarantee. The photos I've seen on this forum show an excellent product. Since they sell direct, you have to imagine that their $600 sub is the equivalent of $1200 from a normal retail outlet.

12. pumpkins

pumpkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something wrong with the cherry ones? :confused:

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    They are the same inside as the black and maple ones, we have stopped offering the cherry finish though. This means that the cherry 909's are run out items.