what is a good 60"+ plasma to buy? Any owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by digby, Aug 17, 2006.

1. digby

digby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any one know if this plasma is any good, i cant seem to find any reviews for it all, i have seen it in costco running a HD feed, picture looked great.
    And it is quite reasonable in price for a 63" set.

Any thoughts anyone please

Samsung PS63P5H

Manufacturer Part#:pS63P5H/XEU
    NEW! High-definition ready 63" Plasma television with integreated analogue tuner and speaker, fan-less ventilation, auto pixel shift to prevent image burn, landscape or portrait format support, picture-in-picture

£4,126.81 ex VAT
    £4,849.00 inc VAT
    FREE DELIVERY
    (Mainland UK only)

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Considering that Plasmas have issues in high ambient light anyway (and that Samsung displays aren't very good in my opinion) aren't you better off getting a proper projector setup for that kind of money? (and you'd get a much bigger screen too) Hell, it'd probably cost you half that for the same/better quality.

I've got a 55" image in my tiny room from a £350 projector, and it looks much better than the 37" 9th Gen. Panasonic plasma I had. It's perhaps not quite as good at dealing with ambient light, but the plasma looked rubbish unless you were in the dark anyway. (I use an LCD for daytime viewing, the projector at night - or I could use a blackout blind and watch the projector in the day too)

Just a thought.

3. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It's only Panasonic plasmas that melt in the daylight and how do you know what conditions digby will be watching in? Samsung plasmas can put out more light than most LCDs!

Great thing about Costco is you can test in the comfort of your own home, and even take the set back after 3 years no questions asked and upgrade for free!

4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Fair enough, I didn't realise that was a Panasonic thing - I had to have contrast maxed to have a watchable picture though (which would probably kill it) and it still didn't look as good as an LCD under the same conditions.

When you say Samsung plasmas put out more light - is that on paper, or actual measured results? LCDs tend to reach pretty much what they say on the paper, whereas Plasmas tend to be measured before all the glass/anti-reflective coatings etc go on.

It was just a suggestion anyway - I realise that a projector isn't suitable for everyone (I didn't think it would be for me until I tried it) but it could be something he hasn't considered.

I'm not even going to bother commenting on this. :thumbsdow

5. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeh, cool.

Actual light output, not claims. And the screen is nowhere near as reflective as Panasonic's so that increases the contrast no-end too.

Costco sell projectors too! Easier to transport too, heh.

Why aren't you going to comment on Costco's incredible returns policy? And yes, its a policy, not abuse.

6. FullFat

FullFat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Which projectors do Costco Sell? I haven't seen any in Haydock when I've been.

Sorry to take the thread slightly off topic.

7. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mmmm, we have a south facing living room and yet we have no probs watchin our plasma during the day. :)

8. digby

digby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not interested in a projector unfortunately, i want something that will work well with sky,xbox 360, and dvd, projectors simply arent that practical for me.

I am after a big screen, bigger than 50" as my room can take it. I wondered if anyone had any experience of the samsung or any other 60"+ screen.

thanks

9. digby

digby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone have experience of the really large plasmas? then 60" plus

10. compo

compo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the people who complain about reflection must be putting there screens in front of the window with the screen facing the sun. I have two Panasonic plasmas and have bought Samsung and LG screens but i went back to Panasonic when i saw the problems that both LG and Samsung sufferd from.
    the refection that people say the Panasonics suffer from is no worse than the reflection that any displays suffer from.
    If you have reflection or contrast problems shut up and move the screen on a wall or into a corner that is out of the sun, don't moan about it it's that simple or have IQ's realy droped in the last 20 years by so much?

11. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I love my Fujitsu p63xha51.

Stunning with Sky HD and HD DVD ,and xbox360.

12. CITY_MANC

CITY_MANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You can get it for £4708.99 from HERE mate:thumbsup:

13. tonyl4

tonyl4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i would try it and see. before finding this site i purchased the phillips 50" they have in there as was a complete newbie to AV. over that 5 months when reading this board and seeing for the same money i could of had a phd8 50 i took the screen back and was refunded no questions asked.

get it home see how it runs with your set up and if not to standard take it back and look elsewhere.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The Fujitsu is prob the best of the bunch, as Cyril says. I have one too. It's a chunk more money than the Samsung, and as with all things in life, you get what you pay for. Fujitsu after sales and warranty is way above the industy norm as well as the panel performance. For that kind of money you might get a Fuji 55, certainly the Hitachi variant. But only the Koreans will sell you a 60+ for under 5k, so if size is the only thing that matters, then you are looking at your only option. With a bit more dosh, and dare I say taste and wisdom, look for the Fuji 63, Pansonic 65 at the more quality orientated end of the market. I think most of us would agree to avoid the Pioneer 61, it's plain nasty, and not that cheap.