What is a DVE calibration disk ?

djwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Panny 42PHD8 and am really happy with picture but I've seen quite a few mentions of calibrating with "DVE" - what is this ?
How do I get it ?
If this can make a great pictiure even better and prolong the life of the panel then I'd like one.

Thanks

From what I make of it, its basically a DVD you run that has certain stages/tests that allow you to calibrate your plasma settings correctly for your eyes/optimum viewing so you end up with a picture that has correct colours and such

:hiya: Are these disc easy to use and follow ,as i hate to admit it when it comes to anything technical im a bit of a simpleton :D I just want to get the best out of my 42pv500 :smashin:

I'm not sure to be honest i've never used one, i've just read what people have said and seen a few screenshots

crank said:
:hiya: Are these disc easy to use and follow ,as i hate to admit it when it comes to anything technical im a bit of a simpleton :D I just want to get the best out of my 42pv500 :smashin:

They are very easy to use , taking you through a step by step tutorial to set up bightness, contrast, colour, hue and black levels etc, not to mention sound set up, guides, back ground information, test patterns. It even comes with some r.g.b. filters to correctly set up the different colour levels. Well worth buying :thumbsup:

Jim_Fear said:
I'm not sure to be honest i've never used one, i've just read what people have said and seen a few screenshots
I have one,and you need a Phd to work it.Just use any THX dvd video set up t is just as good,you will find this on most dvd thx films

From what i understand the THX setups are actually specific to each DVD. The DVE disks are pretty easy to use, i bought on last week ready for my new TV arriving and decided to run it against my old CRT and was very impressed by the results.

There is info in the PV500 and general plasma FAQ sticky with links to how to use it.

mal600908 said:
There is info in the PV500 and general plasma FAQ sticky with links to how to use it.
:smashin: Nice one Mal looked at your settings after you had used a disc and tried them and the picture does look better than the settings i was using.Its just further down the thread i saw people questioning your contrast,is it safe to use it so high(i am well past the 200hrs mark).Also will all 42pv500 owners using this disc end up with the same settings as the result.Only asking because if this is the case would'nt someone who has used these discs be able to tell those of us that have'nt on what to set them at :D If this is the case can anyone out there give us the settings from the result of using these discs eg:how many presses on the contrast,brightness and colour and what other settings they have found to be the best.This would give us "Learners" a helping hand and a more "JOYFULL" experience
Sorry if i come across a little clueless but thats because i am ,as this is all new to me. :thumbsup:

There was a thread somewhere about peoples settings, I will try to find it.
Having the contrast that high is not a problem after being run in.

The contrast/brightness was set up by a friendly ISF bloke called Gordon so I know it looks about as good as it can.

His findings are HERE

Here are my settings:

settingsmal5pl.jpg

:hiya: Anyone else with any pictures of their settings through calibration on their pv500's ? :D Would be interesting to see if there is any difference between them or if they all turn out the same. :lease:Cos if there is'nt any difference i'll not attempt to puzzle my mind with such a disc and COPY Mals instead:devil:

Have you got a test pattern built in to your DVD?

Another way to set it is when you are watching a DVD with black bars at the top and bottom, tweak your brightness so they don't flicker when looking at them from a few cm away. This should be somewhere near - you can double check it with a THX disc.

Basically, if it looks good then it probably isn't to far off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom