1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is 525p/625p?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by James M, Jan 15, 2005.

1. James M

James M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I connected my PD30 up via the component connection today and to be honest it didn't make a huge difference, now when I switch the tv to progressive there seems to be a slight flicker and the picture doesn't improve either and the manual for the DVD player says that the tv needs to be 525p/625p compatible and I don't know if it is.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    James,

I've never actually tried it (so might well be wrong), but my understanding is that the PD30 series is capable of NTSC progressive (that's 525p).

Whether it's PAL progressive (625p) is more problematical.

Officially Panasonic say it's not, but some people with PD30's claim it is!

I do believe there is a flickering issue with 625p, so perhaps everyone is "sort-of" correct.

I hope somebody has more definate information to help you.

3. James M

James M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate

I've done some playing about today and it seems that I had set the DVD to YUV output but you have to set it to progressive as well.

The picture does look better however there is the side effect of a slight flicker, you can just about make it out when watching a film but when you access the DVD players menu you can see the blue background has a very slight flicker to it.

The problem is I like the picture on progressive mode but I seem to spend more time asking the wife if she can see it flickering or not and switching between modes!

Can't say that component input is much of an improvement over SCART unless its running progressive.