What is 1080p and is it worth getting a TV that can do it?

zenza

I have heard of 720p and 1080i and 1080p but don't really know what these settings look like in terms of picture quality.

What is 1080p and are there many sets that can display it.

Also is there any news of new TVs coming out soon that will do 1080p and will the prices start dropping?

M

Metalinc

I'm not a real expert in this matter, but I'll give it a shot.

As far as I'm concerned 720p is better than 1080i (p=progressive, i=interlaced). 1080p is without a doubt the best possible standard for current HDtv. Keep in mind though that not all broadcasters will use 1080p as a standard in the future.
But the new dvd standard Bluray does and others will certainly follow.

A 1080p panel costs significantly more than a 720p panel, although prices are dropping (of both).

Today I would advise to go for a much cheaper 720p panel, but in 6 months I might be telling you the opposite. Damn technologies evolve like crazy.

Rian1988

Novice Member
I'm no expert either but I believe the human eye can't really see the difference between 1080p and 1080i if the screen isn't above 42/46", if you do a search on the forums there is a few threads on this subject with alot of info.

P

Pondle

1080p is probably worth getting if you're going to use your TV for PC output. The PS3 is also supposed to be 1080p-capable, but most games for it are probably going to be in 720p/1080i, just like the Xbox 360.

soil

Standard Member
jstw said:
I'm no expert either but I believe the human eye can't really see the difference between 1080p and 1080i if the screen isn't above 42/46", if you do a search on the forums there is a few threads on this subject with alot of info.
yea iv seen many people say that on topics, most videos r in 1080i or 760p. all iv seen anyway.

$$Buck-Naked$$

As far as I'm concerned 720p is better than 1080i (p=progressive, i=interlaced).
Good for you but 1080i is better than 720p as it does more pixels that result in a sharper and better image.
768p is better than 1080i though but 720p is not.

Too bad both the PS3 and Xbox 360 won't support 768p as almost all people with a HDTV would finally be able to run their nattive resolution.

scrapbook

The technical accuracy of some of these post is interesting!!!

When you talk about 1080p TV are you referring to a panel that has a resolution of 1920 x 1080, such as the sony x series, or merely a TV that can accept a 1080p signal?

There are many TV's around at the moment that accept a 1080p fed signal, but they are rescaled to the TV's native resolution. So for most LCD's this will be rescaled to 1366 x 768.

These articles may help

http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/CA377070.html

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_301-editorial.html