1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Intergrated budget amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by G a f f e r, Feb 23, 2005.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Hello.

I'm building a second hi-fi made from leftover components that have been upgraded from. The system may end up in my mum's house, or I might give it to a rellie at uni (they listen mainly to hip-hop).

I have:
    Arcam CD72 cd player
    Tannoy M15 speakers (re-wired with QED silver anniv wiring)

I am looking for an amplifier and have shortlisted the following:
    NAD C352ct £350
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540A £200
    Marantz PM7200 £330

Considering the musical taste of the person who'll end up listening, which one would suit it best? (I'm leaning towards the NAD at the mo - difficult to do listening tests due to the relative scarcity of decent hi-fi shops where I am now).

Also, what cables would you recommend? (I will be single wiring but would like the interconnect and speaker cables to the same make for synergy).

Speakers stands / hi-fi stand not needed as they live in student digs and need the space.

If the amp ends up at my mum's (wider, more neutral listening tastes), would your recommendation differ?

Thanx for any help

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    You'll need a quick fast amp for that Genre, so I think the NAD will suit best. The Cambridge Audio 640A isn't bad either. PM me if you are interested in one of those (640A), as I think a guy I know at work was selling his, I'll ask him if he still has it.

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Thanx Kazman, I agree - just needed the confrimation before Icommited myself :smashin:

4. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've just purchased a NAD C352 and it's really good, much better at bass control that the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A , and more natural sounding that the Marantz PM7200

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The nad sounds like the best (if most expensive option). Why not just use cat5 cables for the speaker cable. Costs 49p/meter and sounds good for the money. Studants and your mum arnt going ot care as long as it works.