1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What interconnects are needed

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Vodder, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now this may seem like a completely silly question but I am fairly new to all this and want to get it right first time!

I have (or will by the end of the month, if I can ever decide on the amp) the following:

Sony TV, with 3 Scarts (1xRGB)
    Nokia Freeview box, with 2 scarts
    Sony SRV820 VCR, with 2 scarts
    Pioneer 565A
    AMP (Probably going to be Marantz SR7400)
    PC with S-video TV-OUT and normal soundcard out.
    B&W 5.1 setup

The bit I need help with (please!) is the best way to connect it all up. I'm going slightly mad with it all.

I currently have IXOS S-VHS to S-VHS lead and IXOS phono to phono (with jack-plu converter) connecting the PC to the TV. BUt what are all the other leads I am going to need to connect the rest of it all up?

Everything has to go through the AMP right? Am I best with coaxial digital or optical for the DVD?

This setup wll be used for SACD and DVD-Audio playback so am I right in thinking I need to connect the audio separately?

Thanks in advance

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is why people buy from shops rather than online, as installing things and getting advice on connecting them is a service you pay for within the price!

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Vodder

You have two basic choices ahead of you:

A. Use an AV Amp as both a Video and Audio hub and most likely limit yourself to Composite or S-Video switching as most amps dont handle RGB.

Your also not likely to have S-Video with all theses sources so unless you add an RGB2S-Video converter to your SCART RGB sources you will be limited to using Composite video; which is the lowest video quality available to you.

B. Use the AV Amp to switch and decode the Audio signals and use an external SCART switch to independently (some of them work automatically) switch your video sources.

You can get a perfectly good five input SCART switch for under £100.

Best regards

Joe

bobbypunk - I thought the reason for the Forums was that people DID buy from shops and ended up in the pickle that Vodder is heading for :)

4. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Joe, that's great. I think I am going to go with option B, that's sounds very similar to how the document on the Sony UK website says to do it www.sony.co.uk/support/connectivity.asp

Bobbypunk, the reason I posted in the forum is so I could try and see other peoples opinions - I am spending enough on the setup as it is and I want to have some education on the subject before getting told what I should buy by some guy in a shop.

Buying this setup is like buying a car, you have to do your research first in order to get the right setup for you. I've spent weeks looking and listening to all types of setups and don't want to make a decision on interconnects in 5 minutes at the counter

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about that didn't read your post carefully enough, wrote it after a bad day i guess.
    Although I realise now i've re-read your post, what I thought you'd said was you were just after a wiring diagram for kit you'd just brought.
    I speak to too many people who come in to get advice on wiring equipment they brought elsewhere.
    Advice on which cables to buy I understand!!
    I'd leave it down to the installer to worry about what way is best to wire it.
    We normally expect customer to tell us the equipment they've decided on and then give us a day to work out the cabling options.
    If you are happy with the way it will work thats the important bit as someone would install it as described.
    Sorry again for being arsey about something you didn't even do!?!

6. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries dude - I am actually enjoying researching all of this, even if it is taking me weeks to sort it all out!!! I've just spoken to that many people that you get to know which are genuien hifi people and which are ones are out to make the most money!

5 weeks now and whilst I think I have chosen the right speaker setup (B&Ws), I am still no nearer the AMP!! Let alone the correct interconnects!!

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never been a big B&W fan, I reckon you should give the Monitor audio Bronze series a look with the Denon AVR2803, I tried quite a few amps and I reckon Denon seems the best with SACD and DVDA, aswell as normal movies and music being on par with the alternatives.
    I'd wire the digi box by scart into AV2 on the 565, then scart the 565 to the (RGB)TV.
    Connect Digi box AV2 to the AV2 on VCR (For recording).
    Connect VCR AV1 to TV
    Connect PC SVHS+2phono(converted down to 3.5mm jack)-Scart into the TV's 3rd scart.
    To do that you'd need:
    3.5mm-2phono
    2phono coupler
    SVHS+2phono - Scart ----> For PC
    Scart to Scart --------------> For DVD (Ixos XHT601?)
    Scart to Scart --------------> For Digi (Ixos XHT601?)
    Scart to Scart --------------> For Digi/VCR (about £15)
    Scart to Scart --------------> For VCR (about £15)
    For Sound I always Reccomend the same 3x VDH TheBAy C5 for SACD/DVDA (£40 per pair), CableTalk Digital3 (5.1). For the Digi box and VCR sound QED Qnect1 @ £20 per pair.
    Speaker Cable I'd reccomend QED Micro for rears and Bronze for fronts/centre (Silver instead if you can stretch).
    Please take my advice as an apology for my attitude.
    Oh yeah, and buy it from someone who'll let you take it back if you don't like it.

8. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bobbypunk - VERY much appreciated, you the man :)

What are the S-VHS inputs on the back of the AMP for then? Is that for automatic switching? I guess the way you suggest would keep the best picture as its not going through the amp and the only thing you would have to do is manually switch both the TV and the AMP over to the correct device?

I haven't boughbt the B&Ws yet, they're just the best setup (IMO) for AV and music that I've heard. I thought the KEF eggs and low Q range was good but they lacked something with music. Must admit I haven't considerd the Monitor audio bronze - may have a look tomorrow. How come you don't like the B&Ws?

AMP wise its a choice between Yamaha 740, Marantz 7400, Denon 2803 or if I import it from germany the Yamaha 1400 - way more amp than I need but completely future proof and the same price as the ones I've just listed!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Fine theory but of limited use in UK as most VCRs and Sky boxes won't output s-video so shouldn't be routed via the AV amp and there doesn't seem much point if you can't route everything through it.