Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What inputs do what, an which is better?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rossyl, Oct 17, 2005.

1. rossyl

rossyl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to the AV scene I must admit I am a little lost when it comes to inputs and what they do.

Analogue is what I'm used to - connecting CD players etc.

S - Video ? Purely for vision, can sound run through this? What components usually use this?

Optical ? Purely for sound? Does a digital output on a DVD player provide better sound than using all the outputs on a DVD player to amp, or is the differenc negligible.

CoAX ?? Again purely sound? Better than digital or a subjective test?

SCART Vision and sound? But can it carry 5.1 what would be a usual usage of this. Would the scart from ur dvd player run directly for the TV, whilst all the sound outputs go to the amp?

Analogue video - like what is used out of camcorders. A low level?

Generally do u connect the sound output of your DVD player to the AMP, and the vision to the TV. So there is no sound going to the TV??

I basically am trying to find out how many and what inputs I should look out for when buying an amp, and am trying to gain a better understanding.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Vision only. Most componants can use s-video. Scart is better IMHO.

Optical is purely digital sound. The 6 analogue outs on some dvd players are for the dvd to do the processing or for SACD/DVD-A.

Coaxial is digital sound only just using electrical signels instead of light (optical). If you want long runs (2metres+) its best to use optical . IMHO I found coax to sound better than optical. Again subjective.

Scart can put sound and vision from the source to the TV but will only output analogue stereo sound. You can get RGB only scart that ONLY ouptut video which gives better picture then fully wired scart. You can run the scart to the tv and use the digital outputs to the amp to get 5.1 sound.

Basic sound and picture output.

Yes or just mute the tv.

:thumbsup: :lesson:

Hope this helps :D

3. rossyl

rossyl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks so much.

So for a DVD player best combination is RGB Scart and Optical?

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    IMO I would use coaxial if your doing a run under 2 metres for the digital sound. It has less processing than optical and (to my ears) sounds better. RGB scart is the best unless you have componant inputs on your TV.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As said above it's for vision only. Found on S-VHS VCRs and most DVD players for example. May have a dedicated output (5-pin DIN) but can also be carried via Scart.

Purely sound. With "all the outputs" I take it you mean the 6-channel (5.1) analog outputs.
    Sometimes the use of that is mandatory, e.g. for DVD-A and/or SACD. Otherwise one digital connection (typically coaxial or optical, but also Firewire or proprietary connections) is sufficient and usually gives better results as the decoding in the Av amp/receiver normally outperforms that of the player.

IMHO there is no difference between a coaxial and optical connection (both are digital as correctly stated above), besides mechanical properties of the connections/cables.

Scart carries composite, S-Video and/or RGB plus analog audio (stereo L+R), as well as some control signals. 5.1 over Scart is not possible.
    You can connect a Scart directly between your player and the TV and run the sound via a direct connection (typically coaxial or optical) from the player to the amp.
    Scart is not a video (or audio) signal, just a connector/cable type that was meant to ease cabling.

Composite? Bad.

Yep, that can be done. Though it's also possible to have a (somewhat redundant) sound connection to the TV, often when you use Scart this "happens". Therefore you need to mute the TV or lower it's volume all the way down.
    However it also allows you to watch some DVD without turning on the AV amp if required. (But who would want do that? ;) )

Buy an amp with as many inputs as possible, can never have enough of the same. :D

Difficult to say since it also depends on the TV/display you are using. Component (YUV) or DVI/HDMI are also choices to connect a DVD player to a (newer) TV/display.
    Also note that RGB does not support progressive scan which most DVD players offer now, but YUV and DVI/HDMI do. Requires a compatible TV/display though.