What in walls LCRs?

Mills256

Standard Member
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Upgrading my dedicated cinema room from a 55” screen to a 100” acoustically transparent screen and projector. The room is 2.5m x 4.5m so not that largest of spaces.

Currently running a 5.1.2, Q Acoustic system, 3050 / 3010 / 3090 / 3060 and 65CB powered by a Denon AVR X2500H.

The plan is to upgrade the full system over the next year, however job number one is the LCRs as I need to run in wall speakers from my current speakers.

Due to costs restrictions at the moment, I’m considering the following and would appreciate some thoughts / comments / recommendations etc.

Option 1 - KEF Ci4100QL
Option 2 - Monitor Audio WSS430
Option 3 - Monitor Audio W380 IDC

Currently swaying towards the KEFs.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Ideally you'll want to use LCR's which rules out the W380IDC and while there isn't anything wrong with using them, for fronts, I would use the none IDC versions and just ensure you place them in the right place

The Kef's should give you the widest dispersion of sound thanks to how the UniQ works however their not the easiest ones to drive and you might be better off looking at a more conventional speaker like the SpeakerCraft AIM LCR5's as the drivers will be a little more friendly to your electronics

Upvote 0
Thanks ShanePJ for the reply, I am intending on upgrade my AVR within the next 6 months and looking at something like the Marantz Cinema 60 or Denon AVR X-4700 due to pre out so I could go separate amp for the LCRs in the future. Would you still be of the same opinion taking this into consideration?

Upvote 0
Will the speakers be fixed into the walls or are you creating a false wall as I would say you should get the largest sounding speakers you can for your budget. I'd still they the Kef's are a good speakers but using a larger driver system will bring a better soundstage long term. Remember the smaller the driver the harder you'll have to drive the electronics to create the same level of enjoyment

Maybe Klipsch or Focal if you can make the jump would be a better option although its a large jump in price point

Upvote 0
Will the speakers be fixed into the walls or are you creating a false wall as I would say you should get the largest sounding speakers you can for your budget. I'd still they the Kef's are a good speakers but using a larger driver system will bring a better soundstage long term. Remember the smaller the driver the harder you'll have to drive the electronics to create the same level of enjoyment

Maybe Klipsch or Focal if you can make the jump would be a better option although its a large jump in price point
Speakers will be mounted within a stud wall which currently splits the room with a boot room. Stud depth vary slightly, but the average gives me around 73mm to play with, this may possibly be tight for the KEFs as think they require just over 75mm.

But I could bring the wall out within the cinema room itself if additional depth is required behind the screen itself.

Do like the idea of the Klipsch and or Focal but with never hearing them before I wasn’t sure which would be the way to go.

Upvote 0
Speakers will be mounted within a stud wall which currently splits the room with a boot room. Stud depth vary slightly, but the average gives me around 73mm to play with, this may possibly be tight for the KEFs as think they require just over 75mm.

But I could bring the wall out within the cinema room itself if additional depth is required behind the screen itself.

Do like the idea of the Klipsch and or Focal but with never hearing them before I wasn’t sure which would be the way to go.
The Focal's are a great install speaker, but you will pay more for them and the quality shows. I've never really heard many people complain about them either while some have suggested that Klipsch can sometime sound a little to forward and I would always suggest getting the best you can afford so you only have to do the job once, but if budget is very tight, then at least you will be able to upgrade in the future as you have studded wall which is a lot easier to work with than a solid stone one (although it can still be just as messy)

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom