What if youhad a "Spare" £500 ?

shotokan101

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just stirring up some discussion here hopefully. :)

Simple question this one - given your personal circumstances (equipment owned already etc.) and photographic style/shooting preferences - what would you spend a "spare" £500 on to enhance your Photography or enjoyment of it ?

Thanks,

Jim

Funny you should ask this JIm as I bought a new Tamron 10-24 today,not quite £500.

Took some seascape shots,so pics to follow:smashin:

Just stirring up some discussion here hopefully. :)

Simple question this one - given your personal circumstances (equipment owned already etc.) and photographic style/shooting preferences - what would you spend a "spare" £500 on to enhance your Photography or enjoyment of it ?

Thanks,

Jim

Ringflash I reckon.

Hello there

Well my next purchase looks like the Sigma 30mm 1.4, would get that and maybe monitor calibration software.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

What would £500 quid get me in the way of a "model" for the day*

*the quote marks around the word 'model' indicate that the young lady may have a questionable reputation.

Funny you should ask this JIm as I bought a new Tamron 10-24 today,not quite £500.

Took some seascape shots,so pics to follow:smashin:

So that doesn't count the Neil - think again ;)

Jim

P.S. - just seen your other post so will be popping over shortly :)

What would £500 quid get me in the way of a "model" for the day*

*the quote marks around the word 'model' indicate that the young lady may have a questionable reputation.

As long as there's a photographic element that's fine - but that doesn't include her "Manager"# taking secret shots of you and her for blackmail purposes I'm afraid..... :devil:

#The quote marks around the word "Manager" indicate that the guy in question may "Manage" several of these "Models" using somewhat dubious outdated staff management techniques and only pay them a very small percentage of their "Fees" ;)

Jim

OK put a decent ND filter on it and thats £500:D

I'll accept that one Neil......IF you buy it from me ;)

What about a full set of filters (Whatever that may be :rolleyes:) to that value then ?

Jim

Wait around for a second hand Bigma or Sigma 180mm Macro to show up. :smashin:

(And yes, I know the chances of gettinga Bigma for £500 are somewhere in the region of bugger all, but a man can dream!)

UWA lens, fisheye lens, ringflash, higher end external flashgun or an intermediate studio lighting kit with backdrop(s) and rail.

Or . . . an awful lot of Pussers rum shipped in from Tortola . .

Or . . hire a studio with some fleshy models thrown in (beats the :censored: out of boring landscapes) to see just how good/bad me and my ability/gear is.

Or . . . put it towards a FF body . . . (nah)!

Last edited:
I dont suppose a Canon 70-200 f4 L would be a bad addition to my little lens collection although a 35mm prime or Tamron 90mm for Macro work would be equally welcome
otherwise
Put as a down payment for the 7D

Is there a lottery syndicate going on somewhere i should know about?;):hiya:

I like your thinking, I live fairly close by to there and never knew they had workshops.

Quite honestly for once I don't really have anything in mind to spend money on for the camera, I had been thinking of a second SB-900 to play more with remote flashes or an 85mm lens but bit really found a need for them.

John

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just spent my 'spare' £500 on bl**dy car brakes- required to fix the car to get me to photographic locations. So, indirectly my photgraphy benefits but really it's just crap- I would have bought an 85 f1.4:rolleyes:

I would love to get the Bowens Quad 2400 Studio Kit but at £2369 it does not really fit in the budjet you have set, so,,,

Maybe this

@ £391.47 would be good with one of these

wp980-lg.jpg

For around £112.99

So if ok, I am a we bit over @ £504.46 :D

Cheers

I'd probably put it towards a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens.
Messa wants L Series Glass! Better get cracking and pass those exams for the
MCDST course I'm starting next week.

I reckon a 430 EX II for the 30D and a nice compact (like the Panasonic LX3) for those days when I can't be arsed lugging the full kit around but I still want to be able to take decent pics. Though I'd need some help finding somewhere I could get thse for £500.
Oh and some help with the £500 would be much appreciated too.;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom