What if you change your mind?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Fat_Tony, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Is there any standard rights or policies for if you get a new phone and just really dont like it?

Im looking at buying a sim free phone from Carphone warehouse or Currys (all the same group I believe?)

Is it fairly straight forward to return a phone within a week or two if its really not for me?

Thanks

2. vu5ter

vu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Don't buy in store - carphone warehouse willl only permit exchange for a different phone if brought instore. If you buy online - then they will refund if you don't like after testing

3. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thanks, thats the sort of thing I was looking for

If I ordered and paid online, to collect in store - do you think I would lose the refund option?

4. vu5ter

vu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Not sure - only I got stung with that when I needed a phone urgently and and picked one up in store only to find out I hated it - so exchange it for a £10 jobby essentially costing me £10 to test the phone. You should be ok for online purchase to pick up instore as DSR still apply but as I recall you can't order online and pick up instore immediately

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    If you are looking to test things at home and want the right to a refund then buy online from a reputable UK or EU based seller

Consumer Regulations 2013* (in force since 2014) give consumers the legal right to a refund with no reason necessary within 14 days for distance purchases (online, phone, catalogue).

* Full title is longer

The exceptions are personalised orders or media (as you could otherwise copy the media and seek to refund) and a couple of others I cannot recall but it is on the internet

Separately,

The consumer rights act gives the right to reject goods, including those purchased in store, within 30 days if they are faulty, not of satisfactory quality or not as described

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    One thing should be clear however. The distance selling rights of the CCRs allow the seller to deduct an amount from your refund, up to the full cost of the item, if the value has been reduced as a result of you handling the item more than is necessary "to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods". This extent of such handling is if it goes beyond what you could reasonably expect to do in a shop.

So in summary, yes you can have a quick one-off demo at home but if you're planning on "using" it in anger over a couple of weeks then think again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List