• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What If My Plasma Craps Out?!

Broken Clock

Standard Member
I just purchased a 65'' Panasonic ST50 and I'm so frightened that it will just crap out a day after the 1 year warranty expires. I don't want to pay 400 for the extended warranty.

Is it really as hard as the sales associate suggests to repair plasma television sets? The guy made it seem that once something goes wrong it is done for. I would think local repair men in Ottawa (where I live) would be able to salvage the set if something happens.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Chances of it going wrong are the same as any product, sounds like pressure selling to me, scaring you into buying the extended warranty, bang out of order IMO.

As with anything it depends on what goes wrong, boards, power supplies and panels etc can all be replaced, cost of repairs varies depending on what goes wrong. In the UK we have the sales of goods act that gives some protection to consumers up to 6 years, worth checking to see if you have something similar. You can also buy extended warranties direct from Panasonic.

Last edited:

w3dal

Distinguished Member
My original panny lasted 4 years before I sold it on and my current panel is 2 years old now without issue.

If I was you I would just enjoy that screen, if only the misses would let me have a 65" :devil:

Sounds lie scare tactics to me from the salesmen to get more hard earned out if ya

Dal

MrBungle2005

Well my PZ80 went faulty after 3 years. It was deemed beyond economical repair. If I hadn't bought it with a five year warranty, that would have been £1300 down the drain.

I'd never own another TV without a 5 year warranty.

mikej

This is the reason I bought my GT30 from an authorised Panasonic retailer - to get the free 5 year warranty. I wouldn't have liked to pay extra for it, but wanted the security that I'm protected from any issues for that period.

I rarely buy extended warranties for anything else incidentally, as I believe it's a false economy. But getting one for free when I've spent so much on a TV seemed like the sensible option in this case, especially as the price I paid was a good one at the time.

Do Panasonic not do free warranty promotions in the states ?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Well my PZ80 went faulty after 3 years. It was deemed beyond economical repair. If I hadn't bought it with a five year warranty, that would have been £1300 down the drain.

I'd never own another TV without a 5 year warranty.

Under SOGA you would have been protected anyway. All for free warranties or Richer Sounds 10% as it saves some hassle but a. Warranty s have small print that can make them worthless, or in some cases manufactures simply argue there's no fault. b. SOGA is there and can protect up to 6 years.

I requested a refund on my GT30 after a few months and Panasonic refused, my dealer refunded with no problem as they knew my rights. I wouldn't ever pay hundreds for an extended warranty especially if it was being sold in that manner.

Lolicon

Standard Member
That's just salesmen tactics. He wants you to buy the extra warranty because that's what they make money from - the competition and price wars in TV business are so fierce that retailers tries to find other ways to make money. This is one of them.

Of course, any TV could break "before its time". But that's just bad luck.

D

Deleted member 174041

Lets just say I had a plasma 5 1/2 yearz old and it just stops working for whatever reason, what are my rights?

stucarblne

danmc_82 said:
Lets just say I had a plasma 5 1/2 yearz old and it just stops working for whatever reason, what are my rights?

Depending where you are in the country i think you have rights of some sort up to six years and five elsewhere

Broken Clock

Standard Member
I was mostly wondering what repair was like. I don't mind paying someone 300 - 500 bucks to repair my TV in a few years or replace something if color fades; however, I've been told that there really isn't any repair for a plasma TV. It's not like LCD where you could fix the problem. Once a plasma goes wrong, it's done. I really hope that's not entirely true.

stucarblne

Broken Clock said:
I was mostly wondering what repair was like. I don't mind paying someone 300 - 500 bucks to repair my TV in a few years or replace something if color fades; however, I've been told that there really isn't any repair for a plasma TV. It's not like LCD where you could fix the problem. Once a plasma goes wrong, it's done. I really hope that's not entirely true.

They can be repaired if there are still spare replacement parts, and sometimes they can use parts from other makes and models if it is within specification. But if the plasma module/screen was broken and they didn't have any to replace with that would be that

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

I've had plasmas repaired before, it's no different to an LCD with regard to this. Power supplies can be replaced, all the boards can be replaced and the panel itself can be replaced. As with anything some repairs may not be financially worth doing but they can be done still, the guy was talking out his ass. Don't suppose he said anything about has needing a top up etc? (they don't) some sales people are full of it when trying to sell LCD.

logiciel

logiciel

Thanks - countries separated by a common language.
It looks and sounds worse than "sidewalk".

Broken Clock

Standard Member
Crap out is an idiom, not a word. Idiomatic expression is often not culturally universal.

OT: I'll just take the risk and see what happens. I'm certain there are plenty of knowledgeable plasma repair fellows who I could contact to have a look at the set if anything happens.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Crap out is an idiom, not a word. Idiomatic expression is often not culturally universal.

OT: I'll just take the risk and see what happens. I'm certain there are plenty of knowledgeable plasma repair fellows who I could contact to have a look at the set if anything happens.

You won't have any more difficulty than you would an LCD, don't worry about it, the guy was young out of his ass.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom