What if MS/Sony add a Wiimote ??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Aitch_Kay, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Aitch_Kay

Aitch_Kay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just thinking - if Xbox and PS3 bring out a new control pad that steals all the ideas of the new Nintendo control ...... what would be the point of the Wii ??

2. andrewrunagall

andrewrunagall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sony has already stolen the idea, in their SixAxis controller. On which we all believe them when they said it's been in development for years:rolleyes:

3. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    well given that they've already released their consoles it'd be pretty difficult

the consoles don't have any hardware for that kind of control and you'd have some gamer with them and some without meaning games wouldn't be built around the controller anyway

4. darren_eaf

darren_eaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The same could be said about the EyePlay on the PS2, it would be pointless if you didn't have the camera, so it got bundled with it.

They could do the same thing and bundle the games with the remote.

5. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    adding a wii type remote for the PS3 or even 360 would be a peice fo cake !! just a USB sensor thign needed.

for me its the only thing missing form the 360 to make it the king of the consoles :smashin:

6. stepp

stepp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    All microsoft has to do is release this....and yesit will hurt sales a little.

BUT all Nintendo will ever have to do is release mario and zelda on anything and it will make them a killing in sales.

It has always and will always be like this.

7. brain_stew

brain_stew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Add ons never work. The beauty of the Wii is that it demands developers to use the controller and that it guarantees all users will ahve one. As an add on developers would be catering to only a fraction of the installed base and this means decreased sales, which means decreased support which means decreased sales which means.....

8. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    It would require more than just a release of a similar controller.

MS and Sony would need a completely different approach to their product.

The appeal of the Wii is not just the controller, it is the whole package in the way it has been marketed both in the simplicity of the packaging (mimicing apple to a certain extent) and the simplicity of the console and the remote.

This approach is not one that sits well with the way MS and Sony market their consoles as cutting edge and complicated hardware.

You also have to consider the big twos approach to selling their consoles, in that they initially sell at a loss knowing they will recoup the money further down the line in licensing fees.

Nintendo have brought out a product that appeals to a different section of the market who weren't really gamers before, but it is yet to be seen whether these console sales will translate to software sales in the future.

Yes it woould be nice to have a Wii equivalent with flashier graphics, but it isnt necessary in order for it to be fun, so even if MS and Sony do bring out a similar controller it won't stop the Wii being fun.

9. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    It would be like a steering wheel, good for those who really want it but most wouldn't bother.

Nintendo's controller ideas always get ripped off (analog sticks, rumble, shoulder buttons) so don't be suprised to see imitations in future gen products.

10. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Microsoft are looking into to doing something simular. They said they were when the Wii was announced as they reckon it's a greatinnovation.

I wouldn't mind if MS did that as long as nothing else changes like Game graphics are dropped and we are forced to use it.

Maybe have the games desined as they are now but have the OPTION to use a sensor remote, as i am sure alot of people would still prefer to use a controller

11. SHPanda

SHPanda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No it couldn't. The eyetoy is just a camera it doesn't require any of the PS2s hardware to work. The Wii-mote has technology that makes it work both inside the Wii-mote itself and inside the Wii. There is already a 3rd party controller in development for the 360 that will be similar to the Wii-mote but it won't work nearly aswell or in the same way because the 360 lacks the hardware.

Plus as others have said the Nintendo forces all games to use the Wii-motes motion sensitive controller in games and so games are designed around it, although the odd game like Smash Bros Brawl will just use the Gamecube controller/classic controller. If MS made a Wii-mote style controller developers wouldn't design games with it in mind/around it because not everyone will have a motion sensitive controller whereas with the Wii everyone does.

12. islander99

islander99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 360 wouldn't need ANY extra hardware at all to use a wiimote device. As the sensor bar is only picking up the point functiion, the only info the 360 needs to know is the movement sensors in the controller. This is just a bluetooth signal sent from the controller to the unit.
    The big question the Wii faces is will the developers (apart from Nintendo) take the time to utilise the wiimote device to it's best potential or will they develop games to the common denominator (the standard 360/PS controllers).

Personally, I hope they do. The 360 is a great machine if you want serious muscle at a decent price. the Wii is innovation and great fun for everyone (and will hopefully take gaming away from the 'nerdy' view many people still have).
    The one console which really needs to prove itself (in both potential and value for money) is the PS3. I think we actually have a fight on our hands this time round, and it's going to be good for us all....I can't wait to pick up a PS3 in 2 years time for £200!

13. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

If enough people buy the console the games will come, simple as that. The fact it's easier and cheaper to develop for means smaller companies (like Atlus with Trauma Center) can come up with novel ideas and compete with the big guys.

The wii has made the latest Madden game suddenly seem decent, hopefully others will see that and follow suit.

14. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Analogue sticks on a remote? Standard are they not?

They are now. Why?

N64 and Shigs crew can be thanked for that.

Part of the Wiimote will indeed become standard fare on new controllers.

15. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    I also feel it's pretty likely that M$ could add a Wiimote style controller if they have some games they feel would sell the product, as mentioned, Sony already has copied with the Six Axis:rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered if it was copied, it would just give me more choice if say a M$ game put the system to better use on a certain game.

At the end of the day I always have space for a Nintendo console in my living room, the first party Nintendo titles are rarely successfully copied on the other systems & I love the nintendo franchises. Add to that the future prospect of games like MarioKart online and I'm happy with the Wii with or without the controller.

I'm sure I'm not the onyl ine who really doesn't care if the whole Wii Remote gets copied, Nintendo games are Nintendo games & thats plenty reason to own any generation of their consoles in my book:)

16. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    The appeal of Wii IS the controller. Other than that it's just a beefed up gamecube with WiFi.

Sony and MS don't need to worry about releasing copies of the controller - as it's bluetooth, developers can just use games that utilise existing Wii controllers on the PS3 (it supports bluetooth) and use a USB bluetooth dongle on the 360 (plenty out there for the PC, dead simple to write some drivers for a game on the 360 to use one I'll bet).

Some guy has already hacked Wiimote drivers for the PC - there's a video up on youtube of someone using it to play halflife 2.

Gav