What if a turntable with built-in phono stage is paired with an integrated amplifier with built-in phono stage?

entwaz

Standard Member
This is a very newbie question but after pairing my turntable to unused desktop speakers for a while, I've finally decided to get some hi-fi equipments.
While researching about integrated amplifiers, I've noticed many of them comes with a built-in phono stage.
The turntable I have is Project Essential II phono usb which already has a built-in phono stage.
Then, I found myself scratching my head if it is a safe practice to connect this turntable which have a built-in phono preamp to an integrated amp with another one.
Please help me solve this mystery!

Ascotbilly

Can you turn off the phono stage on the Project ? Check the manual, I’m guessing you turn off at the project and plug into the amps phono.

If using the project phono you would plug into the AUX or similar connections on the amp.

I have an external phono stage and to drive via it I plug into the connections next to my amps phono

entwaz

Standard Member
Thank you very much Ascotbilly! I just had no clue and haven't thought about checking out the manual. Like you said, the manual advise me to connect to the AUX connection :)

FootHealer

This is a very newbie question but after pairing my turntable to unused desktop speakers for a while, I've finally decided to get some hi-fi equipments.
While researching about integrated amplifiers, I've noticed many of them comes with a built-in phono stage.
The turntable I have is Project Essential II phono usb which already has a built-in phono stage.
Then, I found myself scratching my head if it is a safe practice to connect this turntable which have a built-in phono preamp to an integrated amp with another one.
Please help me solve this mystery!
Hi,

The short answer is "no". If you connect a turntable with a built in phono pre amp by RCA cable into the phono pre amp of the integrated amplifier, and both pre amps are on, you will get an awful, loud, distorted sound. If the turntable has a switch to disable the pre amp, then do that and it will be fine. Or plug the turntable into another RCA input.

TheHighFlyingBirds

As @Ascotbilly said, your turntable should have a switch to bypass the internal phono stage allowing for your TT to connect to the phono input on an integrated amp..

Never connect the output from a phono stage to another phono input, as it could damage your amp, as the voltages are wrong.

A TT outputs in the region of mV, as such a phono stage amplifies that mV to V (line level). If you used the phono stage in your TT, the output would already be in the V level. The integrated amp phono stage would be expecting a mV signal but instead it would receive a V signal., and would amplify that signal causing too high a voltage.

entwaz

Standard Member
Thank you FootHealer and TheHighFlyingBirds! I definitely wouldn't want bad sound or even hurting the unit. It seems like this particular one don't come with a switch to turn on/off the phono stage so I would have to connect to another RCA :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom