1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I Watched.......

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, Dec 31, 2002.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,628
    HI,

These are some of the films i have watch over the last 2-3 weeks, (rentals).

Rollerball 2002- good picture quailty, not bad popcorn movie. Lead character sucked (from American Pie).

Dragonfly - Kevin Costner , really liked this, very chilly, suspensful. I know a lot of people in the past have put this movie down, but it one of my favourites over the last couple of months.

Vanilla Sky - Tom Cruise, going mad, very weird, but enjoyable, but confusing. Does anyone else find when directors make this kind of weird movie, like Lynch, the movies tend to be less enjoyable, because at the end you think to yourself what the f%@k was that about?.

About A Boy - Hugh Grant, really enjoyed this one, grant was really good in it, quite funny.

Gosford Park - for a star cast I thought the story was a bit of a let down.

Weight of Water - Sean Penn, watching this tonight, let you know...

Happy Hoildays

cheers

rai

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like offbeat movies that don't give the entire plot away MORE because then I can sit and figure them out as I watch them over and over, e.g. Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Donnie Darko....

Vanilla Sky is sadly not one of these as Cameron Crowe caved and gave a bit too much away; thus it's very obvious what the plot is even before you reach the end of the movie ;)

3. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    over xmas i watched the following:

REIGN OF FIRE..started brightly and went downhill pretty quick.good cgi dragons,lack of money to bring the movie to life i think.

UNFORGIVEN 1Oth ANIVERSARY EDITION.Excellent movie,best western ever?10 years on and it still packs a punch,extras were top too.

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK..laserdisc version...nothing needs to be said,my favorite all time movie....

ALAN PARTRIDGE SERIES ONE...A load of viewing to get through.sat it all out in one go,couldnt stop watching.roll on series two.

XXX...A pretty good movie,the stunts are spectacular but the story is a bit mish mash,i was really let down by die another day,the worst bond film ever except for the first 30 mins which were top notch,

TWO TOWERS..Cinema...Oh my god what a movie,top filmmaking from first to last!action,jokes the lot....

4. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God said-

Squirrel, I couldn't agree more! I love the Lynch's work--esp Eraserhead. I'd also say that I find many of the films by Burton, Cronenberg,Coen Bros,Gilliam,Jarmusch and Von Trier to be similarly bizarre and entertaining!

Yummy Fur

5. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Totally agree, watched Mullholand Drive 5 days ago now and I still can't stop thinking about it. No I didn't get it, and i could go to a website to find all the answers, but I think it's good to have a bit of mystery in life.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, Eraserhead is the only film by Lynch that I just didn't like. I never understood its popularity! I should probably give it another go now you mention it....

Love Coen Bros. too :)

I'm sure you'll work it out over time and in chats with others, which is also part of the fun :). The only one of Lynch's films that I had to resort to websites for was Lost Highway - when I actually read what it was all about I'm glad I did as I never would have worked it out! I won't say why in case you haven't seen it :)

7. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I watched

Series 1 of The Office : Brilliant, the Training Day episode and Gareths fantasy!!! Superb.

XXX: A complete no brainer, but amazing visuals!

Memento: Brilliant, fancy watching the movie backwards, but think it will spoil it.

The Abyss Spec Ed : Xmas pressie, but still a good film!

Donnie Darko: Enjoyed first half, 2nd half missus came in and started asking 'girl' questions, you know what I mean, 'who's that?' 'What's he doing that for?' and then after 10 minutes of them not understanding, 'you watch some rubbish you do' which degenerates to 'this is crap' and then them talking to you about people at their work and decorating. GRARARARRRRRRRRR so will give it a 2 nd watch when I have shipped her off to the shops or something!

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant! I watched it all in one go. Couldn't stop! Roll on Series 2 on DVD :D
    Noooooooooo, how can it? You've already seen it. Go on! Do it, do it, do it!! :D
    Divorce her :mad: How dare she :mad: Tell her that anyone who says that Donnie Darko is crap has to deal with me :mad:

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've given up getting 'er indoors to sit through a film, although she did sit through bicentienal man las week.

watched quite a few recently watched ('er indoors has been in hospital - so no nagging!)

Bicentenial man (off telly - bought the DVD afterwards)
    Reign of fire - OK, not brilliant
    sum of all fears - preferred Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan
    Ice Age - excellent film
    Minority Report - average
    Good Morning Vietnam
    13th warrior - below average
    Brotherhood of the Wolf - the atrocious dubbing wouldn't allow me to concentrate - will ahve to watch it in French & subs
    Wicker Man - didn't like it, even with Brit showing off her assets.
    Goldmember - like it
    blade II - OK
    Resident Evil - OK

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Eraserhead-----I found the film very disturbing, infact its definitely on my best/worst horror films list, in other words I didnt like watching it, but it was compulsive and not in an entertaining way Brrrrrrrr givers me the shivers

11. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103

HAHAHAHAHA OK, I will wait a while though, her dad is installing my new kitchen in and saving me much money! After that though we will have to wait and see if she redeems herself by buying me gifts and giving me hot loving!!!!!

12. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    karkus30 said-

I usually try to make sure this is playing, when my in-laws are visiting.....;)

Yummy Fur

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say these kind of movies really are starting to bug me, if I want a puzzle to solve I'll have a pop at the times crossword, I find that these films really distract the audience from what should be the most important thing... the film itself. Donnie Darko is something of an exception though because it is such a beautifully written and performed film with some really excellent direction and a cracking soundtrack.

Lynch has really lost the plot (snarf!:D ) with these two films, he is utterly barking mad.
    There really wasn't that much to work out in Blue Velvet, a truly fantastic film, and even Wild at Heart wasn't THAT strange and was all the better for it.

Sorry but I thought this was the driest, dullest western I have ever seen

14. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    James, you will never win Forum personality of the year taking that attitude:eek: ;) Although you did go very PC with the DD praise LOL:D

15. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Up untill xmas ive watched...

LOCK, STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELS. Classic brit, laught everytime.

MR DEEDS. Made me laugh, just don't mention it to Squirrel God.

X-MEN. Cool film, can't wait for X2.

ICE AGE. Nuff said i love it more than my son.

And at Christmas ive watched..

PITCH BLACK. Saw it at the cinema and had to watch it again, good film, thought it was better second time round.

STIR OF ECHOES. Brilliant film, surprised i hadn't seen it sooner.

AND

MEMENTO. Shopping in Morrison's last night and saw this for £8.79 so i bought it and watched it when i got home. Brilliantly done but i didn't like the way it ended, thought there was more to go but a good film. Dont shoot me James45.:D

16. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Or do u mean the way it started???;)

Conor

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: