1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what I still don't get about x-card and life in general?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gpender, Dec 20, 2004.

1. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    O.k bear with me I've been travelling for a year and I'm about to head home to my toys and I need to get a few things straight..........

I need to build a new HTPC (I sold my last one before I went away) and have read about the merits of the Xcard/sweetspot combo and whilst everyone has mentioned the pros and cons of

xcard=>PDI=>sweetspot=>DScaler VS Theatretek.............

What I'm curious about is the audio output. i.e is the spdif out is any good compared to, potentially, a high end souncard. Also will the spdif out spit out audio from anything other than the DVD player i.e a ripped film on the hard drive.

Also if X Card is hardware based can it be updated at all.....i.e 7.1 or any other future goodies, in the same way software could?

I suppose I really want convincing that it's the way to go as I crave a simple solution but I always will be wondering whether it's second best.......

my previous HTPC used a Holo3DGraph (which I've still got) to capture the analogue output of my standalone dvd player, deinterlaced with it's own chip and then sent it out via my radeon, but now I like the idea of using the computer as more of a jukebox/hub (film and audio ) whereas before it really was just a scaler. And I can't see how I can intergrate the Holo3dgraph into a setup like this?

Come on chaps convince me one way or another! :)

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Can't help with most of that but

SPDIF does work for surround on DVD's played from hard drive, I've used winDVD, PowerDVD and Zoom Player and they all work fine just as if the disc was in the drive. The SPDIF can be used for any signal from the PC.

3. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    o.k that's good news presuming then the quality of the output is up to scratch then I'd would'nt have to buy a soundcard...........

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To be honest, and my apologies to David here :), I don't see any reason to use an X-Card instead of a software player like TheaterTek and post-processing with FFDSHOW. PQ-wise, TT plus an NVidia 6xxx card plus FFDSHOW will be noticeably better I'd expect.

Sweetspot is great for capturing and processing material from STBs etc, but using it solely to process output from X-Card is IMHO a waste of money if thats your only requirement. The Holo3D of course would be used like you had before in this scenario I think.

Also, I didn't notice any difference between the SPD/IF output on the X-Card and that of the on-board chipset.

5. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I still use the X-card PDI video capture card (pre sweetspot) through Dscaler for most of my DVD viewing and use TVedia as the front end.

Main reason – when its set up it just works no tweaking, no picture or sound drop out just a good reliable picture every time. :thumbsup:

Sound from the X-Card – it’s a little bass heavy but just need to recal the sub, 7.1 upgradeable, I’m afraid not.

Kragorn is probably right, there have been big leaps in picture technology over the past couple of months with the new Nvidia filters, but if you read the posts in the forums there still people having problems.

I remember that there was a cable that linked an X-Card directly to the Holo3DGraph X-card passing the decoded signal in the digital domain to the holo for dscaling, could be a good combo if you could get the cable.

6. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great stuff so far chaps......

Scotty, I wondered whether I could use the xcard along with the Holo, I just wonder what the cost of the cable will be and whether it's readily available?

I like the idea of intergrating the holo as a) I still own it and b) I was happy with it's results on external sources (STBs/XBox etc).

It's just that in the back of mind I knew by going out of the dacs on my dvd into the composite in of the Holo, I was really letting the side down and as DVD playback is a good 90% of the use of the kit , it was a daft scenario to be in.

O.k what about this scenario......I source a xcard + relevant cable to Holo, leaving me with a wife friendly (she's familiar with the holo ) and stable (hardware) setup. Can I then use a bit of software , for example a TT of the world, to deal with just the audio to pipe that directly to a souncard......? Thus allowing for the ever changing formats?
    i.e once the xcard pulls the signal from the DVD and decodes it can it send it else where at the same time for further processing (albeit just for the audio in this example)?

Sorry about all the questions chaps but I really want to nail this over the next few weeks............

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree with Scotty that the X-Card is a 'tweakless' way of getting decent DVD plaback. :)

8. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The x-card decodes both video and audio on card so I don’t think you can split out the audio to have it processed separately.

OK found this on the avsforum from way back http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=2428795#post2428795

It describes as I remembered the cable X-card to Holo3d for only $30, made by a company called PMSvideo in Hong Kong, don’t be put off by the distance, that’s where I originally got my PMI card from, one problem they have changed there name and are now called Pixelmagic but they no longer list the cable on their site.

You could ask on their forum http://www.pixelmagicforum.com/forum/index.php I think it was Atman who I was in contact with.

They have a European distributor in the UK http://www.pluggedin.tv/store maybe David could help?

9. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Top stuff, cheers Scotty I'm going on the hunt now..........