What i need from a box

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pembssurfer, Sep 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. pembssurfer

pembssurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Imm looking for PVR up to around 200 squids what imm looking for is the following,and yes i do really need HDMI upscale as my TV's internal scaler is a pyle of smelly pants.

ANyway here goes

Twin Tuner
    Hdd 160gb and above
    HDMI upscale to 1080i
    Optical audio output supporting solby surround sound
    Top up TV compatible and setanta
    Pause and play live TV

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I can think of one, but it ties you to a broadband provider to get it!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    Just a couple of points for you to consider:
    - upscaling is quite unnecessary if you have a flat panel TV. The TV will upscale. And a good analogue video connection (RGB or Component) will not offer markedly different quality than HDMI.
    - Freeview audio is all 2-channel. Some of the contents will contain matrixed surround information which is "decoded" by ProLogic or Neo:6. 2-channel audio can be carried equally well using a regular, analogue, stereo pair, so you do not need any digital output. There is no true multi-channel audio in Freeview.

So, with that in mind, you may have a wider choice.

Mod Comment This is a PVR question, so I'm moving your thread. Note to other readers - this was originally posted in the Freeview forum, so it appears clear that pembssurf wants a Freeview box and not any other type.

4. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    If you want TopUp TV support, then your only choice is the Thomson TUTV PVR which doesn't have HDMI. You can no longer susbcribe to TUTV without having that box.

If you just want Setanta, Topfield or Humax PVRs can work with it, but their Freeview models don't presently have HDMI.

5. srhill

srhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Apparantly tofield has hdmi models not currently on sale in UK - any idea if these are about to be released here:lease:

6. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    As I said in another thread, I won't know the answer to that question until after I've sat down with their UK importers next week.

7. srhill

srhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry, didn't realise you had said this in another thread.

Please keep me informed as I have money to burn and really want a dual record freeview box with hdmi (ideally with a dvd recorder if this ever comes to UK - have them in Japan apparantly, so why not here??)

8. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    As I said, there is one available now.....

9. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
  10. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Not sure I'm supposed to, but it's a subscription service from a telecommunications provider who I happen to work for, and fits the op requirements (although I must find out about TUTV compatibility)

11. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
  12. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    TUTV compatibility is simple - it won't be, unless it's TUTV's own Thomson box. There is no other box for which they will activate a subscription to their Anytime service. As part of the activation, you have to give them an id number from the box.

If you have an active card for the old service (now only about 2 channels) then it will work with any box that also manages the Setanta DTT service, ie which has compatible encryption and card slot built in, or has a CI slot, like the Humax and Topfield models.

13. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I see - always nice to learn something - I just knew that TUTV and Setanta were based on the same viewing card technology is all.

14. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Yep; same encryption, but the new Anytime service uses overnight streams to deliver programming which is browsed - amongst other options - by the channel it comes from; one stream will have items from various different channels over the course of the night. And to capture it all, the box needs to be capable of simultaneously recording from three streams; the Thomson box does that using just one tuner.

It's possible to persuade a Topfield to capture the streams, and you could probably then write an interface to access them in the same way, but it doesn't have it built in. And, just as Sky boxes (and of course OnDigital ones) have the same interface, regardless of manufacturer, so TopUpTV want that consistency for their Anytime service - they want anyone who has TUTV Anytime to have the same remote, to get to their content in the same way, via the same buttons, and so on.

They're not averse to allowing other people to make compatible boxes - I know they've spoken with some manufacturers - but they want the same user experience. It's annoying for those who have boxes that could do all or some of it, and want the programming on a PVR they're happy with, but equally I can see the advantage from a support point of view, of making sure that whenever someone calls up with a query, you know exactly what software they're going to have on their system, and what buttons they'll have on their remote control.