What I did this evening.....

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
I arranged to meet Tobers tonight so he could show me how the hell Lightroom works. We rushed off to local park to take some shots to export and work in software when we got home.

These were me trying to learn Strobist102 balancing twilight. Tobers kindly offered his services as Beckham lookalike and top keepy uppy expert. The shots were taken with me underexposing the sky and using changing aperture and shutter speed to keep the flashes balanced with the skyline. I used a 430EX on a stand and a 285ex on the ground firing at angle.

Here we go.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

sign him on :rotfl:

love the colours in the sky and the way tobers is lit up in the foreground

These work well Gordon. Like you say it's all about shooting, adjusting the flash output, and shooting again, re-adjusting the flash output, and shooting again, repeating until you get the right result.

Not practical probably for wedding photographers but this is more than that, this is... dare I say it... art.

I note your use of the word 'balance' as opposed to 'fill'. ;) :cool:

Liking your work, and enjoying the strobist site a lot myself too!

The jeans in the second image seem very natural to be compared to the rest. Maybe some colour balance in light room would fix it for you. Looks like you will be changing your tag to Mr Flash shortly :smashin: The backgrounds look very cool, they look like a 'false' backdrop in a very, very good way. For me its the last one, excellent work :smashin:

I installed light room used it a few times and then removed it, think I will stick to photoshop :smashin:

Interesting shots.

I think I'd have preferred a little more detail in the middleground - some colour in the grass etc. The whole thing is a little too deep I think. For me, the 3rd one is the best exposure. You're just starting to get some colour and detail in the mid areas, which helps balance everything out.

Setting the exposure somewhere between the sky and the mid area would give you more to work with.

Just my 2p :smashin:

What a hoot! I like #3 the best too. The sky was just stunning tonight - lucky, but then you make your own luck sometimes! We weren't there with a load of kit accidentally.

Here's a couple of shots of Grandmaster Flash Gordon setting up. You'll get an idea of the light and the clouds from these. Amazing light.

Click on the pic for EXIF.

Cheers

Tobers

Tobers kindly offered his services as Beckham lookalike and top keepy uppy expert.

Great Skies on all photos, but u could have done with a much better model.....

:eek::eek:BECKHAM :eek::eek:......who are you trying to kid.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hope he didnt charge you modeling fees.....

Thanks for comment so far. The pics above were me just learning how lightroom works from Tobers. It's so powerfull that I am sure I can do better. Anyway, lots more to work through.......

Thanks Tobers for all the help so far......and for everyone else look out....we have even more ideas to try out.

Gordon

Mr Tobers with Lightroom and Gordon with his Flashes : I'm expecting a hit single next!!:eek:!!

PS Like the photos..but leave the football to Poshs Hubby guys!:thumbsup:

Very "painting"/ HDR like ( in a pleasing way):cool:

like the last one....

but i think i have had an overdose of Tobers :D

He looks like he's wet himself in the 1st and 3rd photos :eek:

Looks like you had fun though and this strobist stuff is a definite art.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom