• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What HQ streaming solution

a8ch

Established Member
Hi all, must say I am floundering at the moment, so would appreciate any thoughts. I wish to upgrade the current Laptop/DAC solution (behringer uca222) source; streaming lossless flac files to the rest of my kit.

I am using the uca222 as an external soundcard really, optically connected to the front end of my marantz avr. The quality is really very good all things considered, hence I am seeking an audiophile quality model budget up to £1200.

One gripe I would like to overcome presently is fan/hdd noise, so a near silent solution is required. I am not bothered about multiroom use, and would prefer a standalone solution, I have looked at the Olive 03HD, but it gets mixed reviews although they operate a 30 day return option which is useful, but does anyone here know of any better kit within budget please?

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
I'd say either a Squeezebox Touch or a Sonos Z90, both have their own DAC and S/PDIF so you can compare to the Marantz DAC. You can attach a USB disk directly to the Touch.

You could spend more, of course, but TBH feeding an AV Receiver the benefit of more ££ in the streamer is likely to be lost. If you wanted to stay with the Marantz sound/look, there's always their NA-7004 at some £700.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...a-7004-streamer-dab-fm-discussion-thread.html

TBH the market isn't really supporting all-in-ones/standalone, as you've found there's the Olive 3D (but no digital out on that), Naim Uniti Server which is costly and the Brennan JB7 (which doesn't do lossless compression)

You could always take the option of selling on your AVR and upgrading, most of the mid - higher end AV Receivers incorporate an UPnP/DLNA streaming facility, all-be-it aimed at movies so the UI for music isn't that clever.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom