1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Home Cinema Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr- Alive, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mr- Alive

Mr- Alive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Just would like some help to push me in the right direction of which one of these AV receivers I should get,

Pioneer VSX-AX5i-S
    Denon AVR-3805
    Marantz SR8200
    Yamaha RX-V2400RDS

Or any others under a £1000

Should I get one with THX? I read somewhere about speakers made for THX should I look for these? I bet they are in the £££££££

And what speakers should I get with this? I quite fancy front floor-standing speakers :D but is my room a good size to have them or should I stick with stand mount? Is it best to keep all the speakers the same make? As i have 7.0 speaker setup but rears are jamo the center is jpw the fronts are wharfdale (But they have a problem hence need new ones) and the others are Realistic.

My room size is 3.90m x 3.10m

I think I can push out the boat to £500-800 max for speakers :rotfl:

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    The SR8200 is a) old and discontinued and b) 6 channels. There will be an SR8500 later this year at £999 with 7 channels and THX. I've pretty much ordered one on spec but the smart money for a receiver now would probably be the Denon.

3. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I were you, I would put more money in the speakers than in the receiver.

4. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Last year i bought the Pioneer VSX-AX5i-S, and it was/is a cracking amp, but changed it for the denon 3805 last month. Both are great products, but i felt i had more need for the video up-converstion on the denon than the Pioneer. The denons autosetup was easy to use and very accurate. The remotes funky although some have had problems. do a search on the forum for more details. I was and am happy with both, but given the choice again i would go for the denon. Just waiting for the new denon dvd players!!

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The upgrade to the AX5i, the AX5Ai, will be out in a couple of months and that will feature video up-conversion - so it might be worth waiting for that.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    How rude of me, I forgot to say welcome to the forums! :smashin:

7. Mr- Alive

Mr- Alive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;) hehe (I feel so privileged to have a nice welcome :rotfl: ) Thank you for your help, im still checking out reviews so i have a look to see if i can find some specs of these new recieivers then i c where it leads me :thumbsup: Cheers

8. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Patience was never one of my strong points….i suffer from that av thing called upgradeitis :D

9. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to second Tons and say hang out for the SR8500. There's a few threads discussing its merits, one with quite a few posts from Tons on the benefits of the new breed of Marantz over their predecessors.

Enjoy

10. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    If you can stretch to the Rotel 1056, I highly recommend you check it out. I recently demoed most of the amps in this price range, including the Arcam AVR300, & the Rotel seemed the best value to me.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The Marantz 8500 does seem good value - however its lack of i-link is a major negative-point IMO. :thumbsdow