What Home Cinema Package To Get For Under £600

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by taipan2000, Mar 30, 2003.

1. taipan2000

taipan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to spend under £600 on a home cinema package with a multi region player. I am looking at the Sony DAVC770 but I cant seem to find many reviews about it, does any one know if it is any good?.

2. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I'm afraid I've never heard the DAVC770 but I have heard a DAV550 and wasn't overly impressed with the sound (although they look very good). Do you specifically want to buy an all in one box solution because if you stretch your budget very slightly you can get an excellent seperates system like the one I recently bought:

Sony STR-DB780S AV Amp - £197 at Empire Direct

ELAC Cinema 1 5.1 speakers - £323 at Proaudiosystems.co.uk

Toshiba 220E MR DVD - £120 at Amazon.co.uk

The Toshiba I bought from Amazon but Richer Sounds sell this as well. I bought the Sony amp and ELACs from my local Hi-Fi store (B&B Hi-Fi) who were more expensive than Empire Direct and Pro Audio Systems but I bought with my Barclaycard who are refunding me the difference.

When I demoed my system I compared the Sony amp to the Yamaha HTR5540RDS and thought the Sony was much fuller sounding and gave more bang for the buck. The ELAC speakers sound excellent with both Movies and Music and are very wife friendly (sats are very small and sub not too huge)

Hope this helps....

3. taipan2000

taipan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really looking for an all in one package. The sony system caught my eye beacuse of its 5 disc changer. I kind of like the idea of watching 5 movies without having to move.

4. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can stretch to £613, you could get the DAV-S880 from dvdplayers.co.uk Much better than the 770 as it's just a 550 with a multichanger (Don't get a multichanger!)

Hope this helps.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Investigate JVC TH-A75R, 54Mhz video DAC, DPL2, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, six satellites plus subwoofer for 6.1 plus a multi-brand remote.
    For an all-in-one it is decent but really separates are a better bet.