1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What HiFi Review of Panny37"W5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bish, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Picked up a copy of this months What HiFi, they are doing a special on plasma screens - this'll be interesting i thought!

Cut a long story short, they give the Panny 3 out of 5 stars, saying that its beautiful to look at but it all goes very wrong when you switch it on - massive ammounts of picture noise and poor contrast, they actually go on to say the the blacks are grey!!....now i own a 42"W5 and canot believe for a second that the 37" is that much inferior in picture quality??

My guess is that these guys havent a clue about getting the best out of plasmas in-terms of setup and connections and should stick to HiFi as thats what they claim to know best!!

Do any of you Panny37" owners agree with their comments??

2. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    they also rated the new Hitachi 32" with just 3 stars when Home Cinema Choice said that it was the best plasma EVER.

I guess its all down to what freebies the magazines get out of the manufacturers. :devil:

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello all

This review is nonsense and as for the advice given later on in the magazine about hooking up a system with a Panasonic display - I ask you!

In the review you cant use a tuner with the 37" PW5B display but in the Sound Advice column (there's a hint in there!) you should spend £440.00 on one for use with the 42" PW5B!!!

Jonathon C if your reading this you owe me the cover price of the mag plus the petrol along to Sainsburys to buy it tonight :)

Ignore this rubbish.

Best regards

Joe

PS I just wrote a wee note to the Sound Advice column - I wonder if I'll get a reply :rotfl:

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    WHF never knew about AV and probably never will. Just changing their name to "Sound and Vision" doesn't help.

It's a good mag to see what's new and get an overview or check out the ads, but I caution against trusting their reviews, ratings or advise.

5. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just read the review and well I'm kicking my Panny 37 into touch and getting the Thompson Wassup! Oh and the tuner I've got with mine will have to go but What Hifi said no tuner option and the, oh I can't go on. I've watched the X-Men through a tuner using a Sony DAVS300?!? and it looked damn fine to me. This has convinced me to go for the Gallo's!

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think many are convinced they ever knew about Hi Fi either.

7. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Joe,

I would definitely be interested in hearing their reply - that's if you get one of course!

8. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I've seen the panny 37" plasma in use and it looked absolutely superb ( I purposely looked to see how black the blacks were and they were certainly not grey! ). I've decided to ignore all magazine reviews from now on and let my eyes and ears do the talking!

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL.

I'm surprised their entry for 'Anti-skating' underneath it doesn't read:

'Typically old ladies but also any other pedestrians who object to young Linkin Park fans using their preferred means of transport in town centres on Saturday afternoons'

11. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cant say i bought mag
    But i read it in WHSmiths (Doesn't everyone???)
    and it does seem they are out of canter with all other reviews
    But they love Pioneer
    did they pay loads for Ad s this month !!!!

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Gaswatkins

I dont think Pioneer UK have an add in the mag - I do know the Pioneer UK Consumer plasma boys and girls are having a right good chuckle over this one.

Best regards

Joe

PS Bish - no reply as yet!

13. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I own a panny 37pw5 and was totally astonished by the what hifi review. I purchased mine about 7 weeks ago after about 4 months of research and demos. For my budget and room size I went for the 37 over the 42 because i felt the smaller picture was slightly sharper in my average to small living room. I personally cannot hear any noise from my panel and the picture is fantastic on dvd's (apart from the odd few badly produced discs - the osbournes springs to mind). Sky digital is generally excellent on the main channels down to good on some of the cheap crap channels.

As far as i'm aware the 37pw5 is technically identical to the 42pw5 in every aspect apart from size...anyway i've zero complaints on my plasma - worth every penny.

By the way i don't own the tuner, i have the terminal board. Connections to dvd via Supra AV3 component cable and SKY via JS RGB to VGA.

Regards

Marcus

14. static

static

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that the reason WHF said no tuner was available for the 37 is cos it's a Spanish import and it has a different terminal board hence the UK sourced tuner will not connect to it,even if that isnt true then all I can say is that the images I've had off this plasma are first class,they get better if you bypass the tuner alltogether....although progressive scan through the tuner is pretty sweet

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Static

I'd say its just that they haven't researched the subject thoroughly enough.

The 'standard' RCA terminal board as supplied with the display needs to be replaced by a Tuner Terminal board which you have to order at the same time as you are ordering a TU600 tuner.

I also note that the TH-50PHD5BX 50" Display I have sitting next to me is 'on its way' well maybe its different up here in Scotland but we've been supplying these for about six months or so:)

Its a badly researched and written review.

Best regards

Joe

16. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it seems What Hi Fi are at it again (did they ever stop?)
    I think they are a disgrace to the industry and are fast becoming a laughing stock. Their, for want of a better word, "reviews" leave much to be desired and are more often than not a mish mash of disinformation.
    Almost always, we don't know who the reviewer is (probably a 19 year old from Peckham with 3 months experience in car stereo's who's reference system is a Sony DAV).
    We are not told anything about peripheral equipment used with the piece of hardware they are "testing" and a myriad of other facts that would prove usful for the observer/reader to judge the validity of the excercise.

Recently one of the famed reviewers of "The Perfect Vision" who also happens to be one of the leading industry pro's in the USA took a look at one or two of our British mags.
    His reaction was one of dismay, shock and disbelief.

Every time I see this thing on shelves, I wish I had a flame thrower strapped to my back :mad:

Don't waste your money guys.

Read,
    www.widescreenreview.com
    www.guidetohometheater.com
    www.theperfectvision.com

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Careful Eric, you are not allowed to criticise British magazines here, even if you have journalistic experrience, which I do. They do a great job don't you know:devil:

Now just don't compare them to that quality US stuff;) ;)

Pity they are just not very good at what they do.:thumbsdow

another vote for Erics links:smashin: