1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Hifi: REL Q200/1 Review

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jon Weaver, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I was scanning through the buyers guide in the back of What Hifi this week and saw something that surprised me.

They gave the Q200 4 stars and said that it was OK.

However, the Q201 got 5 stars and the comment said something like "more musically able than the Q200".

However, the Q200 and 201 are the same.. The 201 just has legs and a grill.

To me, this says volumes about the whole review process and it casts doubt on What Hifi's ability at doing reviews.

Could there be any other explaination?

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must have been the new legs and grill thats made all the difference............or the reviewer just had his ears cleaned out.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Had the reviewer had a few drinks with his grill ?

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    wasn't this exact same statement posted a few weeks ago, by the same person??

5. robh2002

robh2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've never thought much of What HiFi for good equipment reviews. If you want a serious Hi Fi equipment review, then look at Hi Fi News. If you want to know that something works OK and does the job, but don't want the last word in accuracy, then look at What HiFi. If you should happen to want to know about the croma noise measured from a DVD player - look at Home Cinema Choice.

The Q200 and Q201 are cases in point. Same sub, one with a grill and feet, one without - as far as REL are concerned that's all the changes they made. According to What HiFi, they sound different. The only explaination to this is that the reviews were done by different people. Conclusion: What HiFi S&V should put reviewers names to their reviews.

Well that's what I think anyway!

Rob.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    MJH.

If you are referring to my question, then no, its not an identical post.

A few months ago, I posted something 'similar' when What Hifi reviewed a Marantz DVD player and said that it was so good that they gave it product of the year.. But another magazine gave it a pretty poor review.

However, in this example they were reviewing a product and liked it.. Even if another magazine didn't rate it, they could still stand by their review and say that it was their opinion.

This time, they have been caught out.. They review 2 identical products and get both different reviews..

Thats not good!!

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It was ME - I replied to your original post about the Marantz DVD player (entitled "I can't trust magazine reviews anymore") and brought up the fact that What HiFi gave the almost identical Q200 and Q201 different reviews.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A couple of months ago I posted in the now defunct magazine feedback forum complaining that HCC and What Video had reviewed the Sony 1070 and actually used the same amplifier for review with wildly differing results as Stuart M Robinson of HCC slated and hated it whilst David Smith of What Video liked it.

David belatedly spotted the post (yesterday) and answered stating that reviews are subjective and perhaps different reviewers apply different criteria. This is true and perhaps understandable although the two reviewers had wildly differing views in this case and perhaps the two magazines are aimed at differing markets.

If that is the answer in What Hifi it is wrong as different reviewers for the same magazine must apply the same standards and do whatever is possible to iron out any subjective prejudices for the sake of consistency.

I still like What Hifi as they review products early and whatever they give a good rating for is worth putting on the short list for audition. The problem arises when people take any magazines word as gospel especially when Home Entertainment said last month. "Don't listen to the man in the pub, use our recommendations instead".

I have recently been in the market for speakers and read all of the magazines, drew up a largish short list and approached one of the members here who's opinion I value and asked him to whittle it down which he did.

Use the magazines as a guide and not a bible and you won't go wrong.

Before Spectre comes chasing me asking where I read David Smith's reply on a defunct forum - I had subscribed to the thread and received an email telling me that there was an additional posting. I clicked on the link and found myself in the middle of nowhere reading the reply.

It could have been worse and no-one read it but at least as the thread starter I asked for comment from the reviewer and received it.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    However, in this example they were reviewing a product and liked it.. Even if another magazine didn't rate it, they could still stand by their review and say that it was their opinion.

That's exactly the point and confirms what has been said before: even reviews are very subjective and there is no guarantee that you will like the product they gave 5 Stars.

This time, they have been caught out.. They review 2 identical products and get both different reviews..

I better keep my mouth shut about WHF .... :rolleyes:

If that is the answer in What Hifi it is wrong as different reviewers for the same magazine must apply the same standards and do whatever is possible to iron out any subjective prejudices for the sake of consistency.

Agree. And they should do blind-tests. As Ian suggest use the reviews as a guideline only, not as the last word. Too many people buy just based on the rating or awards and are later disappointed, especially if you buy by mail order.

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I think that HiFi Choice do blind tests as a fundamental part of the reviewing process. They also allow "hands on" reviewing afterwards, incase the speakers used to test an amp, for example, don't have a desired synergy. I don't especially take much notice of the reviews result, but if I had to choose a magazine that reviews stuff well, and impartially, it would be HifFi choice. Oh, and Home Cinema Choice, obviously...;)

Russell