1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Hifi Issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Xantia, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Xantia

Xantia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    Everybody talks about the latest issue (June, I suppose) of the "What Hifi" magazine now called "What Hifi Sound and Vision", that brings reviews of the Onkyo 595 (which I own), Yamaha 620, etc. However, I have bought here in Portugal the June issue of "What Hifi" (no "Sound and Vision" in the front page) and it seems it is not the same magazine you are talking about since, besides the old name, it does not review the same Hardware I referred to before.
    Can any of you clarify what is the problem?
    Thanks. Sorry for the English!

2. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rui!
    Have a look at http://www.whathifi.com/scripts/default.asp
    and you'll see a picture of the magazine we get here in the UK! It shows the latest issue but it's probably the July one? I'd imagine that you've been looking at last month's edition.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Jim :D

PS You're english is fine. You should hear my portuguese! :)

PPS This is taken from their site as "Breaking News" They have obviously seen that home-cinema has taken off in a big way and don't want to miss out on the rich pickings!

I quote word for word from their site:-
    "NOW IT'S SOUND AND VISION!
    With more tests, more news, more help advice and hints, we're now the one-stop solution for everything you need to know about audio and video. We've two supertests every month, an expanded first tests section, and even more group tests to help you choose the right equipment. And there's also a completely redesigned Buying Guide, with even more information than ever before. Can you afford to miss it?" End of quote from What Hi-Fi website!

[ 14-06-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

3. Xantia

Xantia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jim.
    Definitely the picture of the magazine of their website is different, so maybe June is not their latest issue which is supposedly July. That´s funny since today is June 13th, isn´it? :)
    Regards
    Rui

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!

rick

[ 13-06-2001: Message edited by: ReTrO ]

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree with ReTro. Since this year no more WHF for me (I saw to many stars after reading it for nearly two years).
    Only HCC is good enough for me ;) even I have to put up with a 2 month lag down here.

On a further note: HCC releases the current issue always with the next month name, isn't it? I.e. June issue comes out in May already.
    Which means I get it in July only ...

Now pitty me and send me gifts, flowers and money! :D

6. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't read WHF for around 6 months. I can't put my finger on it but the mag does sem to have slipped a bit in recent times. Their old forum used to be a fun place, but it was down for far too long. At least I got to meet people like Reiner over there :)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped reading WHF long ago - The only serious hi-fi mag is HFNRR (Hi-Fi News and Record Review). Hi Fi World has touches of brilliance but sometimes seems a little overtly advertiser focused. :eek:

8. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jim Robson:

Can you afford to miss it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've edited my original post with quotation marks in case anyone thought I actually said the above!! 'twas just a quote!

Regards

Jim :D

9. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    WHF seems to give everything 4 or 5 stars which is of little use to people reading it trying to compile a shortlist. I have never been a fan of this magazine because of this.

The best Hi-Fi mag by far (IMHO) is Hi-Fi Choice. I've always found their reviews to be honest and informative and 9/10 agree with their opinions.