What HiFi DVD Recorder Reviews

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lyricman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just read September What HiFi and it makes me wonder about the bias of magazine reviews.
    The reviews contained Best LCD TV - Panasonic, Best Widescreen Panasonic 32DTX40, Best DVD Recorder Panasonic e55 and E85, Best Micro HiFi - Panasonic. But they didn't win any categories that they don't make equipment in :laugh: !!!!.
    Now if all these reviews are accurate it would seem that all we need to do is to buy components with the Panasonic name and you can't go wrong.
    Is it just me.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    however technics which is the same company came out looking worse than an Alba.
    Also didn't they miss out in the 5.1 all in ones to the denon?

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Personally I don't rate What HiFi or their reviews - I got one issue which advocated spending around £700 on a CD player but £300 would buy you the best DVD player! :eek: I agree you need to spend to get a decent CD player but to suggest that £300 would buy you the best picture and sound on a DVD player is rubbish.

That said looking at the categories you list then arguably Panasonic is top of those categories.

The Panasonic E55 is the best budget DVD recorder at the moment - it offers lot more in features and performance than it's nearest priced rivals.

The Panasonic E85 HDD/DVDR combo is more questionable - I would argue the Toshiba RX32 is maybe slightly better - but then it largely comes down to personnel taste. For sheer ease of use the Panasonic is top dog. Obviously the top end machines - the Panasonic E95 for example - are significantly better than the E85. However perhaps a price/features consideration was made? Or perhaps the E95 arrived to late to be included?

Again with regard to CRTs the Panasonic does have a very strong entry in 32" and 36" screens. Again it isn't totally clear cut - Toshiba also has some strong TVs - but it is not unreasonable that some may give the crown to Panasonic. Ditto for LCD. As for the Micro HiFi I will bow to others experiences.

Whatever Panasonic are making some decent kit at the moment - right here and now Panasonic is a good brand to buy. Of course their could be bias in the article (I haven't read it) - but from the examples you give the results more-or-less reflect reality.