• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What hifi biased ?

sergiup

Distinguished Member
No, never!

nheather

Distinguished Member
Look at this way.

A magazine relies on advertizing. If they puss off their advertisers the magzines goes unders.

Now ask yourself, are they going to give their advertisers' products poor ratings?

If you want proper unbiased reviews and opinions then you need to look at independent reviewers that aren't receiving any sort of income from the manufacturers.

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
Not sure if serious, or if pointing out all reviews are biased :)

Call me cynical but personnally I would question the bias of any product review where the the reviewer receives an income from the manufacturer.

And yes that includes, please have this xyz to review and keep.

Cheers,

Nigel

yep, you have to ask yourself - are companies advertising because they're good and get good reviews, or as nigel said above - they help keep the mag afloat with their advert revenue and couldn't possibly get slated...

as you see the same companies winning awards year in year out - yet on nearly all hifi forums these same brands get slated...Hmmm...

snaithg

Look at this way.

A magazine relies on advertizing. If they puss off their advertisers the magzines goes unders.

Now ask yourself, are they going to give their advertisers' products poor ratings?

If you want proper unbiased reviews and opinions then you need to look at independent reviewers that aren't receiving any sort of income from the manufacturers.

Cheers,

Nigel

Including AVF ?

Graham.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Look at this way.

Cheers,

Nigel

There are a few examples in the car/bike magazine trade of magazines slagging off a product and losing the advertising revenue.
So not all magazines/editors Kowtow to their clients, some are perfectly willing to call a dog a dog.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Humans are biased in themselves, so......

The countless number of monitor reviews I have read, where they moan about the lack of height adjustment.
"Can only, tilt this screen, not raise or lower it" and that's a negative.

Have I ever seen the same places point out the £2000+ iMacs are the same, there is no height adjustment.

Nope.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Including AVF ?

Graham.

Quite possibly. I assume that you get advertising revenue and I'm not sure what happens to the review samples - do you get to keep them, do you return them, do you donate them to charity.

I think that AVF is more honest than most but I think you have a tendency to be generously neutral than to give damning scores for poor products.

Or point me in the right direction of the review of advertiser XYZ's product where you conclude that the product is poor (4/10 or lower) and that you could not possibly recommend it and your money would be spent on product from ABC.

Personally, I don't think you would do that for fear of losing that advertiser.

Tell me that I am wrong, but I suspect that reviews are passed by the advertiser before being published. I further suspect that poor reviews are then either modified to the satisfaction of both parties or are not published.

Would be more than happy to be told that my speculation is unfounded.

Cheers,

Nigel

deantown

Distinguished Member
Magazine sales are falling through the floor. So they need all the revenue they can get, I guess that they will keep advertiser's happy to keep the money coming in.

Ps. Have you noticed how much cheaper it cost's if you buy a subscription and usually a nice free gift to entice you.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I don't think (hope) manufacturers get to review the reviews prior to publication.
Look at the current review on here for a Sony TV.
It says 4K is great, 3D not so great.
It also says the menu is clunky.
Would a manufacturer allow those sorts of words to be used if they were allowed input?
Naaah....

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Trick is to not rely on a single review. But yes reviews like what hifi, etc should be taken with a boatload of salt.
Same with freebie reviews mentioned above. Clearly there is incentive for further freebies/sponsorship.
Then you have the fanboy/not tried anything else reviewer who refuses to see fault because they have invested in this product.

Hope TopGear on Amazon doesn't suffer the same fate.... Just look at Clarkson's admittedly half tongue in cheek adverts. Fortunately Amazon doesn't yet sell cars or have adverts.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I don't think (hope) manufacturers get to review the reviews prior to publication.
Look at the current review on here for a Sony TV.
It says 4K is great, 3D not so great.
It also says the menu is clunky.
Would a manufacturer allow those sorts of words to be used if they were allowed input?
Naaah....

I hope you are correct?

The problem I have is that the scores are out of 10, but AVF only seem to use 7,8,9 and 10.

Looking through all the AV reviews of 2015, only two got the lowest score of 6/10. One of them (a Goodmans soundbar) does get some pretty damning words yet it still ends up with 6/10.

So what does it take to get a 5/10 or a 3/10?

Cheers,

Nigel

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I hope you are correct?

The problem I have is that the scores are out of 10, but AVF only seem to use 7,8,9 and 10.

Looking through all the AV reviews of 2015, only two got the lowest score of 6/10. One of them (a Goodmans soundbar) does get some pretty damning words yet it still ends up with 6/10.

So what does it take to get a 5/10 or a 3/10?

Cheers,

Nigel

Of course you could put your optimism hat on and say manufacturers with the 1-5/10 gear don't bother sending it to AVF for 'the treatment'. I dare say those Kodak TVs from the ASDA punch-ups wouldn't have done too well.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Of course you could put your optimism hat on and say manufacturers with the 1-5/10 gear don't bother sending it to AVF for 'the treatment'. I dare say those Kodak TVs from the ASDA punch-ups wouldn't have done too well.

Yes I had considered that but it would be nice to have some reference - otherwise AVF could just change their scoring from 'out of 10'. To 'out of 5'.

Cheers,

Nigel

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I would say it is fair to say AVF only reviews premium gear. Gear that shouldn't be anywhere near >5
I'm not sure how they get the gear and if it is declared when reviewing.
I have noticed the new Amazon stuff to the right hand side so not sure how that will affect reviews.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
What I've never really got with reviews is how the reviewer links price and performance. For example that review gives the Viewsonic projector 5/10 - it's £600. So does that mean that if I have £600 to spend this is a poor choice - I should look for a 7-10/10 £600 projector? Or does it mean this is as good as £600 projectors get and if I want better I need to spend more. i.e. if I take a given projector (or anything), does it get the same score at 1/2 the price or 2x the price?

outoftheknow

What I've never really got with reviews is how the reviewer links price and performance. For example that review gives the Viewsonic projector 5/10 - it's £600. So does that mean that if I have £600 to spend this is a poor choice - I should look for a 7-10/10 £600 projector? Or does it mean this is as good as £600 projectors get and if I want better I need to spend more. i.e. if I take a given projector (or anything), does it get the same score at 1/2 the price or 2x the price?
I agree. Hopefully the review breaks it down and one of the components is 'value for money' or similar. Still doesn't exactly compare to other same price point products when worded that way though.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Well in the conclusion it says
Ultimately the decision to buy a projector like the PJD7820HD is based on what you intend to use it for. If all you're after is something cheap and fun for the occasional blast of big screen action then it might suit. However if you're after a projector for more critical home cinema viewing, then there are better options that won't cost you much more.
I take that as for £600 it's not that good, & you can get better without it costing a lot more money- hence the lower score.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom