What Hifi awards - A few results

hump

Standard Member
Popped into a well-known Manchester Hi-fi store today and noticed the 'embargoed' What Hifi results email on their pc screen.

Unfortunately, remembering them all proved impossible!

Those I can recall are:

Best sub £300 Amp - Sony DH800
Best 300 to 500 Amp - Denon 1910
Best plus 500 Amp - Denon 2310
Best budget style speakers - Jamo A102

Can you tell what end of the meerkat I'm looking at?

Bit surprised by the Jamos, my money was on the Qacoustics.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I seem to recall that the Q-Acoustics are usually in the £500+ category. When I started out in this hobby, I used to use the awards as gospel, now I kind of scorn at them. If you look at AV Receivers, you'll notice a pattern. Basically it works in a cycle. Last year Yamaha swept the board with AVR's and Denon were slated but Denon seem to have won the plaudits this year. I haven't seen a Yamaha review yet, or if I did, it must have been so ordinary, I've forgotten it. I still enjoy reading magazines but some of the reviews these days could be written by a school kid on work experience, just add a handful of big flowery words and stay clear of any technical form of proof to back it up and folks will lap it up and buy the gear. Job done.

I have only bought one Hi-Fi mag in the last 30 years.

The one I did buy was to prove to the local guys in RS that they could sell me my Tannoy speakers at a knockdown price. The Jan 2009 sale which started in December 2008 was so new they claimed they hadn't got the prices in the shop!

The Denon's a good Receiver but am happy with the Sony for £50 less.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The one I did buy was to prove to the local guys in RS that they could sell me my Tannoy speakers at a knockdown price.

Was that the copy that came with a fold out poster of a Onkyo 806 along with an article on the importance of duck placement in relation to subwoofer/teddy bear frequency response?

thechippy

To be honest I wouldn't use "What" TV, Hi Fi or any other review they do after they didn't rate Pioneer plasmas?!?!?!??!??!

I cannot take them seriously after that.

Was that the copy that came with a fold out poster of a Onkyo 806 along with an article on the importance of duck placement in relation to subwoofer/teddy bear frequency response?

Yes, it was the only damn article worth reading that month, it has transformed my listening experience.

The damping characteristics of that particular bear, in conjunction with the XBox360 headset on its head, alleviated my frequency dip totally.

The ducks are merely cosmetic but do add a little je ne sais qua.

Have you ever noticed how people sometimes stare at your equipment?

Although I used to be flattered, these days I find it quite offputting and I find the ducks distract them, so they don't stare at my pride and joy.:D

bobbymax

To be honest I wouldn't use "What" TV, Hi Fi or any other review they do after they didn't rate Pioneer plasmas?!?!?!??!??!

I cannot take them seriously after that.

Huh :confused:
As far as I know, WHF still have the Kuro as their reference tv.

thechippy

Huh :confused:
As far as I know, WHF still have the Kuro as their reference tv.

Really? I read that they didn't rate it at all and "didn't know what all the fuss was about?" When I was reading the article it seemed very wrong.

I may be wrong as you seem pretty definite and will retract my earlier comment if so.

Andbuss

Standard Member
The purpose of all HiFI magazines are there to confuse you.... :) Listen for yourself. Your taste is unlikely to be exactly the same as other people's (WHF incedently test equipment in a heavily damped room - not near to what a real home scenario is likely to "throw" at equipment ....)

confused88

Popped into a well-known Manchester Hi-fi store today and noticed the 'embargoed' What Hifi results email on their pc screen.

Unfortunately, remembering them all proved impossible!

Those I can recall are:

Best sub £300 Amp - Sony DH800
Best 300 to 500 Amp - Denon 1910
Best plus 500 Amp - Denon 2310
Best budget style speakers - Jamo A102

Can you tell what end of the meerkat I'm looking at?

Bit surprised by the Jamos, my money was on the Qacoustics.

The awards issue is out now.
The Jamos won the award for best style speaker package up to 500£.
Apparently WHF think that the Q Acoustics have no style... and as there were no awards for speaker packages up to 550£ the Q Acoustics couldn't really go for anything.
The Radius R90HD10 were voted as the best 1000-1500£ style speakers but the B&W MT30 won the1500+ category while the B&W MT25 won the 500-1000 one. With WHF everyone is happy!

Andrew K

Banned
Actually the Q Acoustics 2000 cinema pack won the 'Best Speaker Package up to £1000' and 'Product of the Year' so it did very well.

S Bibby

Well, I bought it today mainly to see what was happening with Hifi and AV equipment, and to be honest it was what I expected. In respect to the Yamaha AV Amps - I read their big test on the new models and it seemed that they thought the AX-765 was quite good. It probably figured a little behind the Denon for some reason. Both Pioneer and Yamaha in particular had costlier models so I think the competition was tight. They did also say that the lower budget Sony models pipped Yamaha on quality which I can accept. I'm not sure if Denon's achievements are much of a fad since they might have achieved more recently than the other manufacturers.

On the Hifi/Home Entertainment Audio side in general it seemed that Sony got more good comments than the others. Marantz got the best CDP for the CD6003 although What Hifi did make an comment about it needing a few days to sound better. I've not read much about this from Marantz equipment but it is probably debateable. Apologies if this is off-topic but it might be of interest to some people. I didn't pay much attention to cables and such.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom