1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Hifi and Signature 805s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by klnc, Apr 28, 2003.

1. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Quote from a review by What Hifi of the Signature 805s on the B&W website

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm.../ObjectID/EEE764FF-E324-4501-A09965AA5BEEC437

"Bi-wiring is essential to make the most of the impressive transparency, as is a pair of sturdy supports."

Now i take the bit about the supports, but are they talking rubbish on the bi-wiring - i thought most people don't give that the time of day anymore?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I bi-wire my front speakers both l+r + centre speakers. I noticed an improvement after bi-wiring- seemed to be more detailed repro imo. give it a go and see if u notice a difference.
    The B&W manual suggests you get a better preformance with biwiring and should do so to optimise their performance. I'm not going to argue with that. The only down side is having to fork out for more cable, but I thought it worthwhile in the end.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A mate of mine has a pir of 602s3's and while demoing at sevenoaks the salesman offered that they would sound better with good single wire than bi-wire. And according to him they did. I think its very subjective and other factors such as placement can have a bigger impact.

4. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But what if you were to bi-wire with good cable, rather than with 2 'lesser' cables?

Ive biwired my current b&w's and i too notice a slightly clearer/more detailed sound.

5. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of the 805 Sig's, I haven't Bi-Wired mine. I have used Townshend Isolda Speaker Cable. They sound the dogs B*****. So why bother? I know some people like to bi-wire, and that fine if thats what they whant.

Go to www.groovehandle.org you get a better answer than on here it is more HIFI orientated.

6. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can't bi-wire my Dyns - saves all the messing about :)

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Yeah ... but that also means you can't bi-amp them either :( which maybe a complete red herring and if you could bi-amp them there may be no difference to the sound ... but you don't even get the option of trying.

edit ... typed "would" instead of "could" ... though "may" is an even better word so I'll put that in instead

8. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too:D

I'm not worried abou the inability to bi-amp vicky/stef - there's plenty of pre/pow combo's and expensive integrateds to play with :p

9. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I _have_ bi-amped Dyns in the past in the car, but they really sounded better fed lots of power passively through the Dyn crossovers.

As said above, there's plent of other things to play with....

10. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any one tried doubleing the amount of cable into their speaker.
    Not twice the lenght. I mean two lots of cable. Isn't this all your doing when you bi-wire?

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Can anyone explain how bi-wiring is actually electrically different from using a single wire? In both cases you're applying the same signal to both sets of terminals; it's just that in one case you're connecting one set of terminals to the other with the speaker's built-in shunt, and in the other case you're using two lengths of speaker wire (terminal 1 to amp to terminal 2) with the signal applied in the middle.

Bi-amping I can certainly see the advantages of, both in terms of taking strain off the power amp, and in terms of simplifying the cross-over process. But neither one of those applies to bi-wiring, unless you can somehow arrange for there to be no electrical connection between two sets of terminals at the amplifier end.

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    My 805s were single wired with Kimber 8TC when I got them,and with all the advice to biwire,I tried,and was quite surprised by the extra detail and smoothness....no problems hearing the difference immediately,and that's using fairly hefty cable,and amps which arent going to clip.
    Highly recommended even if it's just to give it a try.

13. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the replies chaps... Sorry didn't mean to start another debate about the benefits or not of bi-wiring was just interested why the reviewer was adament that these particular speakers must be biwired. Will certainly be trying these speakers out in the near future - haven't heard anything but praise for them!