1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by alpha10, Feb 13, 2002.

1. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Just thought I would share this with you, just picked up a copy of What Hi-Fi in Tesco's flicked through to the DVD reviews, where they slag off JP3 for NOT having a DTS sound track.........Excuse me I could swear I watched it last night.......

It would be nice to think they actually watched the films they reviewed, makes you wonder what they don't bother listening to before it appears in the mag???

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in my local Woolworths yesterday and they had 2 different boxes, 1 was the silvery type of box and the other was more of a greyish colour. The silvery 1 said DTS and DD 5.1 on the back whereas the grey one only said DD 5.1. The grey one was just a shelf box and not the one you take home I think.
    This I suppose can only prove What Hifi didn't bother to look in the language selection menu or they didn't bother to watch it :rolleyes:
    Shows how much work they put in to a review :(

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what hi-fi are a hi-fi magazine and i always rate their hifi reviews. Not wishing to put them down but i feel they should stick to what they do best.

ad

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Even their hifi reviews are IMHO very questionable but the AV reviews are pathetic, they don't have a clue at all and I stopped buying the mag last year.

Changing the name to "Sound and Vision" doesn't help at all either ...

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I gave up on them a few years ago - the reviews described huge differences between CD players & amps that I just never heard (or what I heard was nowhere near as drastic).

Cheers,
    Liam

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I will never forgive them for the reviews of the REL Q200 and Q201 (same sub bar the grill and colour) What Hi Fi started raving how the Q201 sounding so much more musical than the Q200 !

I took a peak the other day and they still haven't changed the rating, and by looking through the 'star' ratings at the back it only needs to have a plug and it will get at least 4 or 5 stars !

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    While it was What HiFi which got me into the idea of home cinema, it always seems to me that the reviews are subjective and made by Ali G clones.
    'That subwoofer ROCKS. It's absolutely boombastic!'