1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHAT HI-FI ultimate guide 2003

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by andrew constant, Apr 19, 2003.

1. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    iin the mag they recomend vdh the first ultimate interconnect with some of their hi fi set ups at £245 a go has any one got some and was it money well spent ?

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    IMHO, no cable is worth that much cash. You could probably produce a DIY cable for a very small fraction of the price, and at least rival its performance.

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's nothing, Russ Andrews sell a 1 metre Kimber interconnect for over £1100!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    And there's a few people on this forum that own them!

Come on, you know who you are. Give us a review.

D.

PS. Yes, cables can be worth that much.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I dont have the £1100 cables in mine,but do have a mixture of XLO and Kimbers,varying from £70/m to £400/m.....essentially as you go up the scale in terms of cost unless the amps/speakers etc are all of similar quality,you may not notice much increase in quality,so whilst it's worth buying good cables,it's also worth buying appropriately priced ones,and making you sure you like them before you buy.
    Kimbers give a smooth,open and fairly tight sound,but without excess brightness,which can be a problem with some makes.
    The higher priced XLO digital interconnects really are superb,and you CAN hear the difference immediately.....all depends on how much you want to spend.

I've tried some of the VDH cables and never really liked the sound balance in my systems over the years,being a bit forward and veiled by comparison with my usual cables.....doesnt mean to say they dont work very well in other setups though.

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i have been given a Nordost Red Dawn rcecently and goinf from a £20 interconnect to a £330 one was a real eye opener, its damn good. Van den Hul tend to be quite smooth wheras the Nordost i own tends to be a bit brighter (have been told its very neutral though) - it all depends on how you want it to sound. Balanced cables make quite a difference, but have never tried them, maybe on the new system:devil:

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Balanced cables only make a difference if you have balanced output on the source (or pre-amp) and balanced input on your (power) amp.

8. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I'd go further and say that if your pre-amp and amp don't have balanced inputs and outputs then balanced cables are very difficult to plug in ;)

But seriously, they're only worth it then if the circuitry itself is balanced. Some manufacturers put balanced inputs and outputs on for marketing reasons even though the internal circuitry is only single-ended.

D.

9. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm...that's interesting because my system is a little bright sounding, I wonder if this would fix it?

10. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    You were given a £330 interconnect.
    How do I go about getting one free?:D

11. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    easy, just be good friends with a very wealthy person!

12. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That must be what I'm doing wrong - all my friends are poor! ('Course I am a student...)

Dunc

13. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have 3 pairs of the First Ultimate connecting my pro to power amp. Some will say I've waisted my money. i say they're worth every penny. I tested other cheaper vdh cables but the first ultimate just had more detail and openess. And, heh, I have them for life. I don't think I'll ever change them even if I upgrade amps.

my only advise is try them and listen, if you don't hear a difference they're not worth it.

marc

14. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There's a lot of rubbish talked about cables. How a particular cable will perform is dependant on your other components.

vDH/Kimber cables cables sound full, but roll off treble hard, so suit systems that are toppy (Tag/B&W comes to mind). A Nordost/Chord cable might sound harsh or even brittle in this context.

Match them with an open, lucid combo like Densen, ATC or Primare & they shine, where the former group tend to sound slow, ponderous & coloured.

Some people are convinced that it's not worth spending decent money on cables, but this is a blinkered view. There are some great 2nd bargains to be had on high quality cables, & in the right context they will greatly outperform a component upgrade several times the price. In the wrong context however, the cable can extentuate the flaws in a system and render it unlistenable.

Lecture over.

What system do you have, and I'll try to come up with something reasonable to try?

15. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My system is a little bright sounding so I've loaned a cable from my local HIFI store, it's a Chord Cobra 2. My system still sounds a little bright, it hasn't really done anything in the trebble, but the bass sounds a bit more fuller. My previous cable was a Cable Talk Advanced 3. Could you recommend a canble for me (see my kit below), cheers!

16. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange, after extended listening I can't help but think I prefer my cheaper Cable Talk cable over the Chord one. To me the Chord cable has the effect of pulling the mid range in slightly, whereas the CableTalk projects it out more. Maybe it's because I've grown used to the way my setup sounds, and the Chord cable has changed it in a way that sounds different. :confused:

17. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Like I said if your system sounds toppy, then a transmission line cable like Chord will only extentuate that. The vDH range might be worth trying as they roll off the treble, so should help with that problem. The QED Qnect range also does the same kind of thing, as does the CableTalk (which is most likely why you prefer it).

The CableTalk Broadcast is also decent, and should give more detail than you current Advanced. Look out for a 2nd hand bit if possible. Loot, Hifi For Sale & eBay are always good for this.

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have to agree that cables,like all components,will have a sound dependent on the rest of the system,but there's nothing slow or ponderous with the system I have,and the treble certainly isn't rolled off......IMHO,Kimber cables simply transmit what's there.

19. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Broadcast does look tempting, it got a 5 star rating in What HIFI.