1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What hi-fi sound and vision talk to sky.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chaddy, Oct 17, 2005.

1. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hey peeps, don't know if any of you have seen the "WHAT HI-FI SOUND AND VISION ULTIMATE GUIDE TO HDTV"
    There is a interview with Gerry O'sullivan Director of product managment sky Hi-def.
    For the peeps who haven't read it here it is.

Why have you decided to launch sky HD early in 2006, ahead of other broadcasters?
    Sky has always led the way in innovation. Developments in broadcast compression technology, particulary MPEG4 (a more efficient means of compressing the data in a tv picture), means we can now offer a very broad range of channels in high definition. We've done really well with sky+ recording technology, and this is the next big step for us.

What do you see as the main benefits of high-definition televison?
    Seeing is believing; the immersiveness of the picture, the tremendous detail and clarity have to be seen to be believed. HD is truly a revolution: theres been nothing else like it since the development of digital television., and before that colour TV. Our biggest selling point will be the broad range of programming we offer in HD.
    I've looked carefully at HDTV in Germany and the US and believe we'll offer the best sound and vision experience.

How much will the HD service cost?
    It will be subscription-based premium service but i'm afraid i can't say more then that at the moment. We are currently evaluating the market before making a final decision on cost.

What will we be able to watch on SKY HD?
    From launch, sky HD will include a sky sports channel, sky one, artsworld, a sky box office channel, and 2 sky movie screens, allowing viewiers to enjoy a wide variety of programming with the intensity and detail of HD pictures.
    The sky sports channel will offer live and exclusive coverage of the barclays premiership in HD and DD 5.1, and we'll also transmit live rugby from the guinness premiership in HD, as well as test cricket which has obviously caused so much excitement recently ! Additional HD broadcasts will be confirmed in due course.
    On sky movies their will be two screens dedicated to films in HD, with titles available at launch include Spider-Man 2, The Day After Tomorrow and House of Flying Daggers. In addition , film fans will be able to choose from up to 10 movies in HD each week on sky box office. And a simulcast of the existing Sky One Channel will deliver a range of cutting -edge series in HD, and our HD simulcast of the Artsworld channel will a selection of opera, dance and classical music as well.
    We are also talking to the BBC and other broadcasters about adding further channels. Our next announcement will be about documentary channels, and we hope to have more news every couple of weeks in the run up to the launch.

Will the sky HD service offer other benefits then just better picture quality?
    Yes. As well as offering amazing picture quality , our HD receiver will also feature a similar PVR capability to the existing Sky+ box, enabling viewers to record and replay programs with out videotapes. Sky+ is an fantastic product and has proved immensely popular. We will also deliver 5.1 DD sound whenever we can. For example , premiership football in high definition and 5.1 surround sound will be an amazing experience.

The sky platform will offer broadcasts in 720p or 108i - which do you think is best?
    It will be up to the broadcaster and program makers to decide which will give the best possible viewing experience to the consumer. Sky belives the progressively scanned picture format is better suited for the delivery and viewing of HD contnent on large screen flat-panel displays (most plamas or LCD). However, sky does accept that for some particular types of programming, the higher screen resolution offered by the 1080i format may be preferable.

Thomson is making the initial sky HD boxes - will you use other manufacturers too?
    Our first HD box is made by Thomson, yes, but we are talking to other manufacturers as well.

What happens if my flatscreen tv or projector doesn't have an HDMI or DVI input? can i still watch Sky HD ?
    Sky's inital HD boxes will also have an analouge component connection, so it will still be possible to watch sky's HD channels using the analogue connections without HDCP copy protection.

In the US everyone's talking about hi-def content in 1080p - Is that something you're considering for the future ?
    At the moment we're concentrating on 720/50 (prog scan) and 1080i/25 (interlaced) pictures. No-one else broadcasts in 1080p.

How can our readers find out more about the forthcoming sky HD service ?
    We've been amazed by the number of people who have looked at our hd website. It seems consumers just can't wait to get HDTV. Where talking to all the big multiples and other retailers and from august 26 anyone who wanted to could pre-register for the sky HD service at Comet and selected independent retailers. We'll keep them up-to-date with the lastest developments via e-mail and the web. We want to create a real buzz about HDTV.

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Nothing new and exciting then.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    does that mean that you aren't preordered by registering at the website, only via Comet?

4. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    thought it might have been a use as a F.A.Q. sticky.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Pre-registration isn't the same as pre-ordering. All you're doing via Comet and for that matter the website is officially registering your interest.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Or, in English, we're waiting to see how hard we can squeeze the pips before they start squeaking :cool:

7. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I read this part of the article in the mag I was looking for some specifics on what picture format(s) Sky would be using on its own channels. Instead we get a word for word repeat of an old press release that reveals nothing!

8. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think thats pretty big news. BBCHD?

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Just old news I'm afraid.

10. westwing2505

westwing2505

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is sky going to broadcast in 1080i/25? Why not 1080i/50? Is this going to affect picture quality, compatibility????

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    1080i/25 is, amazingly, another way of writing 1080/50i. The EBU and some organisations quote the FRAME rate for both interlaced and progressive schemes, so 720p50 and 1080i25 both mean 50 images per second, it is just that the interlaced system delivers 2 half images (fields) not 2 full ones (frames).

Others prefer to quote the number of images per second, and use the i/p to tell you whether they are frames or fields. This gives a much more accurate representation of the motion rendition capabilities of the system. Many people seeing 720p50 and 1080i25 would assume that 1080i25 only carried 25 pictures per second, when in fact it carries 50.

No compatibility issues - Sky are using 1080/50i aka 1080i25.

12. 7tennyson

7tennyson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They better sort something out with BBC quickly.....As far as I know they are the only UK broadcaster to have the rights to next years World Cup in HD.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The BBC can broadcast on Dsat without any deals with SKY, granted being on the EPG would make life easier for those that bought SKY+ HD but the BBC are not in business to do those people any favours infact they would probably go out their way to screw us unless SKY made it worth their while:)

I suppose the BBC could simply broadcast selected WC content in HD as and when they felt like it (mpeg2 or mpeg4) and call it testing or unofficial coverage relying on the sat enthusiast to make use of the broadcasts or allowing SKY viewers to add those temporary feeds.

14. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I wonder if existing SKY customers will be given priority with respect to upgrading to SKY HD. Seems only fair to me.

15. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sky's priority has always been to get new customers so I'd very much doubt it.

16. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I reckon the box will be about £500 and subscription another £50

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Sign up at Comet of fill in the form on the website, I suspect that is the best you can do. I would expect 99 out of 100 HD customers will be upgraders mainly down to the price of the expected package which will probably be based on the existing SD packages with a premium HD addition.

18. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right.......................I'm gonna cancel my sub tomorrow, so I'll be a new customer when it's launched. :devil: :rotfl: :rolleyes:

19. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Unfortunately Sky recognise new customers as "never ever used Sky before" customers. Simply cancelling Sky simply won't do it. Ever tried to get the new customer deals for Sky+ by using this tactic, it doesn't work. :D