What Hi Fi slams Rega's new RX speakers?

kristoffer

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the second less than favorable review by WHF of the new Rega speakers. What is going on? Are they that bad?!
I heard the RX1 and really liked them, but these also received quite a bad review by What Hi Fi.
On the hand they praise their amps. This site also gave the RX1 a good review. Hmm.

Rega RX5 review

You still reading that crap!
Is whf not as valid a review as anyone? Surely they could be looked at as a guide line, or is there something I don't know

This is the second less than favorable review by WHF of the new Rega speakers. What is going on? Are they that bad?!
I heard the RX1 and really liked them, but these also received quite a bad review by What Hi Fi.
On the hand they praise their amps. This site also gave the RX1 a good review. Hmm.

Rega RX5 review

You seem to have a different interpretation of "Slam". 3 out of 5 is ok and they didn't say it had anything hideous.

I tend to take WHF with a massive pinch of salt, yes it's a good place to find new tech but don't listen to what they say about it, i have found many of there reviews questionable... that's all i'm saying on the matter.

I think SLAM is an overstatement. There were aspects they didn't like, but aspects that they did like.

"The RX5s are decent performers, but not as musically enjoyable as we hoped for."

That is a statement of expectations.

"They have a surefooted sense of timing that gives the song’s instrumental strands a solid framework to build around."

"These speakers sound powerful – that side-firing bass driver adding a hefty dose of authority to the proceedings."

"There’s also fine integration between the forward facing mid/bass unit and the tweeter leading to a focused and relatively detailed midrange performance that captures Kiwanuka’s passionate vocals pretty well."

"The stereo imaging is crisp, focused and layered and even the tonality is reasonable convincing."

"Judged on hi-fi specifics such as details levels, stereo imaging and bass depth, the RX5s are pretty good."

Yes, they had some criticism, but they hardly SLAMMED the speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

A quick scan of the What Hi-fi website shows that they have about 20 pages of hi-fi speakers that received 5 stars, 20 pages of 4 stars, 4 pages of 3 stars and 2 pages of 2 stars.

This puts the Rega RX5's in their bottom 10% of current speakers.

That's a slamming.

Good on What Hi-fi for giving their honest assessment.

It might have something to do with the fact that Rega do not advertise their speakers with WHF - so no revenue. You would never risk give one of your revenue generating advertisers an awful review.

Last edited:
Or maybe what hifi is just a daft messed up incoherent comic.

It's an opinion, just like anyone else's. Not everyone will like the same thing, so reviews will vary to some extent. I heard that WHF's demo rooms sound a particular way, so favour certain speakers and not others.

WHF reviews, you must really love fiction writing? They are the self-proclaimed experts, who in no way whatsoever are influenced by advertising revenue in sharing out their annual awards.

By all means read a review but TRY IN YOUR OWN ENVIRONMENT/EQUIPMENT BEFORE YOU BUY. As Kelvins.... says, use your own eyes and ears to review. Let you be the judge of what you like, sounds or looks good, not some journo hack.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom