What Hi-Fi show mini report

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by GrahamMG, Nov 8, 2004.

1. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi all.

What a nice surprise to see a TAG DVD32FLR and AV192R setup in Wharfedale's room along with Barry answering many questions (which will be why he hasn't replied to e-mail as he is in Hammersmith!) from a lot of TAG owners......
    I must say that using such good gear to drive a surround setup of cheap wharfedale's was predictably a pretty dire result but they only cost £180 for the small speakers and not a great deal more for the floorstanders.... The cast alloy bass/mid unit was well made though and frankly I don't know how they do that for the price...... I would have thought the Quad 5.1 speaker package would have been more pleasant on the ear but.......at least they showed off three of the brands IAG own all running at the same time. The little Wharfedale's did sound OK when driven by the Quad CD player in stereo but as I say pretty dire when the full movie demo got into gear using the TAG front end, picture from the SIM2 screen from the DVD32FLR was watchable though. I would have loved to hear the TAG gear using TAG amps driving Wharfedale's/Quad premium speaker range but then marketing and showing the range that will sell in vast numbers can't be argued with really.....
    BTW, the best thing at the show had to be that lovely lady on the "Gizmondo" stand, "traffic stopping stuff", in fact it was only on our 4th visit to the stand we looked to see what the stand was actually promoting :D :D :D

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Hi Graham

I also took a trip to the show to see if there was anything exciting to report. Unfortunately my feelings were a little negative. Other then the Wilson Benesch room, and the hidef demo's (did you see the american football game played by models in their underwear? :)), the sound quality was fairly dire.

Too many sub sat systems for my liking, that had their subs turned up to max. I'm sure that is the type of punter the show is aimed at but disappointing all the same.

The highlight has to be the chat I had with the Toshiba rep who told me their new satellite speakers (think very very small) could deliver a full range signal, and no sub has to be used. Didn't quite sound that way to my ears :)

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Chris.

As you mentioned it, the American football was down to me asking Phil to show it, I assume you saw it on the SIM2 stand with their LCD panel which looked surprisingly good (mind you what a price.....)..... In the Los Angeles Olyimpic stadium no less........
    I didn't even think the Wilson room was that special, and yes the subs were completely overblown everywhere, mind you I had a long hard look at those Mission M-CUBE's as they were pretty impressive for the size given suitable material, everyone thought they were playing the much bigger Mission (£2k) jobs until the chap went over and picked them up and moved them.....Clever marketing that..... Bose now has a real challenger in that area......
    Arcam was the biggest disappointment really, large room, lots of kit, 14 amps, 3 chip SIM2 and it still sounded and looked poor, and I know the 3 chip SIM2 can look so much better than that, Ice age is always fun to watch though.....

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Almost forgot, the Toshiba room was a mess, propped up at a 10Deg angle pj's on sheets of A4 to bring the picture down enough to display on the pull up screens and not bothering to correct the keystone...... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

The Sony robot demo was cool and I naturally still love my Abio now it can be taught to wiggle it's bum onto the charger to make better contact.... :D

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah I agree. Manufacturers just dont seem capable of displaying their own kit to its full potential these days :confused: I recently went to an open evening at a branch of Sevenoaks to see the 3chip Infocus 777 and they were feeding it a 480p analogue signal using the rather old Apollo 13 :eek: It would have been understandable if a better source wasnt available but they had a D VHS machine sitting right next to the Meridian source which in itself was capable of outputting a 720p DVI signal :mad:

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I don't think the Infocus 3 chip would look good under any circumstances, there is a whole world of difference between that and the SIM2 or Barco....

7. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Graham,

I think Wilson Benesch just stood out as being better than mediocre display most were laying on. When we arrived, they were playing a female, black singer on vinyl, the name of which escapes me. It was breathtaking. However, I put on my Ryan Adams Heartbreaker album (CD), and although it sounded good, it was robbed of all its emotion. Maybe just a bit to much resolution and clarity, and not enough passion?

Forgot about Arcam, and have to agree, what a waste. How are you supposed to sell a sideboard of amps to a potential customer? Ridiculous. And what speakers were they using?

Toshiba were a laugh all round really. That projector with its arse in the air did cause some laughter while I was in the room. Their 46" DLP hidef TV was nice though, talking of which, congratulations if you were responsible for the American Football, very enjoyable!

Last word on the projectors. Had to be the biggest disappointment for me. My humble TX100 looked better than anything at the show, which goes to show something cheap thats properly set up is better than something expensive thats had no set up :)

8. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is this all about?

Barry IS the the help desk service. Now he is giving demo's at HIFI shows?

I sent an email to update status on my tuner;have not heard back yet. Now I know why. Graham how many people are left there? 6 weeks turnaround and counting. Next thing I will here is; he is training service techs in the USA to fix equipment with no manuals.

Boy; the first 6 months have been real promising for this company.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I believe the Arcam demo speakers were called "boom tizzz"...... :rotfl:

Yep Phil mentioned the football over lunch so we just had to see it, apparently it then played all afternoon with crowds queuing to get a look.....

Watching those Qrio robots dance to "lady in red" was pretty impressive, would have preferred to dance with that lady from the Gizmondo stand though :D

Anyway we are a bit off topic now, I wonder why IAG took the trouble to setup a DVD32FLR and AV192R combo with a decent enough SIM2 DLP back projector and then nail budget speakers to it.......

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I think it fair to point out that Barry always went to the demo shows when TAG were in charge.........
    As for people who went from TAG to IAG and are still there, I only know for sure about 3....Maybe someone at IAG could put the record straight here? This in itself isn't a huge problem as there are plenty of clever people out there and they seem to have enough parts to satisfy demand, it just takes longer to bring new people up to speed........

11. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think someone said 6 , but can not remember correcty anymore.
    However you can not realy start a lot with few guys only, not even if they know everything! (TMA had 100 people in best days)

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thats funny Graham because I have always found Infocus projectors to be excellent :confused: Theyre models under the 10k mark nearly always far outperform Sim2 models pound for pound in my opinion :D

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Their 4xxx is fine at what it does and good value the 5xxx also, it just falls apart a bit with the more expensive models, the 3 chip is not anywhere near the quality of a SIM2 or a Barco and it is roughly the same price.....

14. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Did anyone see the Denon DVD player using the new Silicon Optix Realta Chip?

Opinions, was it any good?

If it is, could be interesting in an HTPC when a PC card is produced.

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    A conversation was had with the chap who produces them......:) PCI Hardware decoder card is a distinct possibility.....

16. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh Goody :)

17. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham I am also interested on this new player by Denon and its HQV Realta chip. Was it that good at scaling?? What did you think about it?? What display were they using??

Thanks.

18. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What Hi-Fi Show was complete let down especially if you actually paid £12 to get in.

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Denon diidn't do a demo worth watching, their new DVD players are OK though!
    "Pay" to get in, not me matey :D £12 is lot of money for what was on offer frankly......