1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What hi-fi reviews

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mark.king, May 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So what does anyone think of this months reviews? I notice the digifusion gets best buy above the inverto mainly due to the pq on the tuner. Got to admit this would be pretty important to me as every day watching tv is the norm rather than loads of recordings. I haven't seen the new digifusion box appear anywhere yet though. I'm wondering wheather to get a cheap one at the moment. I saw the humax single tuner for £116. Then get a good one when a few more players have got hold of this technology and come up with something simple and reliable. Actually simple is not a problem but reliable and great pq is.

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I haven't seen it but I would not rely on any review from them. :eek:

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    The Humax is already simple & reliable. I'm guessing that at £116 it's going to be the older 40Gb model but that's easily upgraded. Add a standalone Freeview tuner & you're sorted. :smashin:

4. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know reviews can be crap but where can you actually go and try any of these units out? Where I live the answer is nowhere at all so you have to go on what other people say. For some reason most of the pvr's can only be bought online.

They had the humax at curries the other day and I called in today and they don't have it any more Bugger.

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    Don't know if it's the cheapeast but the 80Gb Humax is £136 delivered here.

6. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fancy a Freeview PVR and have been browsing on this forum for a while. I had a wander down Tottenham Court Road last night. They seem to be a little thin on the ground there (admittedly I ran short on time so only went in to 4 or 5 shops):
    - 4 shops didn't have any (and one said he refused to stock them anymore as he had so many customers bringing them back with problems - turned out he was talking about the Digifusion)
    - 1 shop had the Panny TUCTH100 at £290 but, given the comments I've seen on here, if I wanted to spend that sort of money, I'd get the Topfield.

I tried unbeatable as well and they seem to be awaiting stock for all of them (actually, I've just checked again now and they've got the Thomson DHD 4000 in stock)

I'm tempted to get a Thomson from unbeatable as it's a reasonably cheap way to dip my toes in the PVR market - anywhere else have them in stock besides unbeatable?

7. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    See you have found out it's not that easy to get to see these beasts. I would love to see a few and make my mind up for myself but as I said earlier no one has them in shops you can actually get your hands on. I noticed curries have stopped doing the digifusion and only have the Thomsan in now. I wonder if that is because they had so many brought back? Ah well I may just hang on yet. Unbeleivable that there is such a hole in the market here. This problem with software problems seems to be on all sorts now. I am looking for a new DVD as well and that forum is full of people with firmware virsion problems. Hardware use to be spot on but now it seems like the public are beta testers for that as well :rolleyes:

8. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    If you want simple and reliable and can live with a single tuner, get the Humax which is tried & tested. If you want bells & whistles, the Topfield is getting good user reviews. If you want a Freeview DVD recorder, there's only one choice, the Sony RDR-GX500 which gets good all round feedback, with only a few negatives.

The picture is very good on all the Freeview boxes that I have seen and is more dependent on the broadcast feed quality which can be variable.

9. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    seen the sony. A lot of money for a recorder with only 1 tuner and no hard drive. I already have dvd recorder on my pc so not needed. I don't intend to save anything I record from tv either. Cheers

10. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    IMO most of the PVR's on the high street (admit they are few and far between :( ) are limited by extremely small hard disc drives - 40GB is just not enough :thumbsdow

At the very least, go for 80gb - 160gb is better still - most owners of these boxes, after a few weeks, open them up (void the warranty) and put in a bigger drive. Trust me I know, I've demo'd a few (at home)in my time :lesson:

Another reason why they're not demo'd - is the amount of noise :rolleyes: they create, not only HDD drone but the fan :suicide:

11. consciouspnm

consciouspnm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    40Gb gives you 20 hours of recording and viewing and if you've got more than that to watch you are either recording too much or not watching it fast enough. How many people need to be 80 hours behind on their viewing?

If you want to keep it, get a DVD recorder.

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The Humax doesn't have a fan and is very quiet. :)

13. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I have just bought the Topfield 5800 - arrives 21/5/05
    160 gig hd looks good

i went through all the options and it came down to 2 really

the inverto - nearly as good as the topfield for approx £220
    the topfield - £289

160 gig hd won the day compared to 80 gig and on the topfield there are lots of programmes and hacks you can add yourself to it to make it better. plus there is a topuptv slot and a usb port to copy recordings off the pvr to pc seems a good feature

i read a lot of people having problems with humax and digifusion and all were waiting for the next one to come out - a lot of delays on these though. most wanted the topfield but were put off by the top heavy price - think of the 160 gig hd and it aint that bad really