1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What HI-FI recent 6.1 receiver test

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adi, Feb 17, 2003.

1. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why - when the test was for receivers which support 6.1 - did what hi-fi test the Harman Kardon AVR 3550 ???

the intro to the test itself said "....the harman kardon avr3550 is 5.1 only. it doesnt even offer you the option of a later upgrade to 6.1 via a power amplifier....."

surely this was a waste of time in this test and they would have been better off testing something like the denon avr2802 (even tho the 1803 was in the test)

it seem harsh giving the HK 3 stars when the whole point of the test was 6.1 compatibility

adi

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Now I know a lot of people here don't like What HiFi ... but I'm going to spring to its defence here.

From my understanding, what normally happens when magazines decide to do a test like this (certainly with computers, I'm sure hi-fi is similar) they'll write to various manufacturers, and say "We're doing a test of 6.1 amplifiers in the £350 to £500 bracket. We'd like to include on of your products in the test ... will you please send us whatever you consider suitable to test in this price range."

Now it's then upto the manufacturer if they want to be involved, and what particular amp they want to be tested ... i.e. with this test, Marantz decided to send the SR4300 rather than the SR5300, Denon the 1803 rather than the 2802, Sony the 1080, etc. It's not What HiFi's fault that HK decided to send an amp which didn't meet the criteria of having 6.1. Now if I'm wrong and What HiFi actually went out and asked specifically for particular amps, then it was wrong and everything I've said can be ignored!! (I'm sure most of you just ignore my posts anyway!!)

Now weather it should then have been marked down for not having 6.1 ... probably as the test was specifically for 6.1 amps. I do however agree that when testing products in isolation, they shouldn't be marked down for not having DVD-A, or being 5.1 not 6.1, etc. We can all easily compare features of a product so thats not important to use, what is important is how they perform.

Anyway ... just my 2pence worth

Victoria

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Harman/Kardon, until recently, didn't make 6.1 receivers with all amplification built in. H/K believed that it was impossible to do this in a single chassis without adding a loud cooling fan, or compromising sound quality. I think the cheapest in the range was the 4500 that offered 6.1 functionality (after adding a poweramp). So, in the case of the group test, posibly H/K couldn't supply an amp within the price range specified and so supplied the 3550 rather than nothing?

Russell

4. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    instead of HK they should have tested pioneer 811...