1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Hi-fi plasma shootout

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jonathan, Dec 13, 2003.

1. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too bad a piece in January edition. Pio 434 wins, with the Fujitsu P42 VHA20 second above the Panny 42PW6. Others featured: Sony, NEC, JVC, & a couple of car manufacturers!
    A lot of the basis for the Pio winning is for the inclusion of HDMI. It's a shame that when these mags review these (or any product come to that) they don't only compare like for like but also give an alternative rating based upon the cost of the product, ie. the Pio costs somwhere about 50% more than the other two, but taking away HDMI and the fact it has a built in tuner (useless for many) is PQ 50% better?

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well the PW6 and the 434 are very close when it comes to pic,
    the only thing that seperates them is user preference.
    the PHD6 is closer still and when used with the dvi input which the mags dont seem to have reviewed it would be hard to pick a clear winner. so again preference. its too close to wrangle other

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Funny they should prefer the Fuji, it's based on a pw5, with less connection potential than a pw6, and more expensive, and with the fuji video enhancement software we all love to turn off.... Just another review to take with a pinch of salt. Did they actually connect anything with HDMI? Did they say how they connected anything?

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yeah fuji above the pw6, i think not. evidently they did have an 868i, but there reviews as usaual dont carry much depth. id agree with maw on this one. the recent home cinema choice review was good and does as it should praise the 434hde. and very much so when u use the hdmi connection of the 868i.

what hifi should stick to that....hifi

5. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have read the review and yesterday, Saturday, was in John Lewis in Watford and they have a PW6 and a 434 next to each other on a shelf in the corner. Watched each unit for a while untill the sales guy came over, then I got him to change the channels etc. Both were on a demo DVD then BBC1 then ITV and Channel 4. I was with the wifey and me and her preffered the picture on the PW6. New morgage in January leave me with around 6k so can feel a PW6 coming home with me soon.
    Of course I will be buying off the cheapest supplier this forum has to offer / recommend.

6. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Contar - I/we did the same as you and saw the PW6 and 434 next to each other at JL in Bluewater. This got us interested and we arranged a demo at AVsales. 10 days later and we are the proud owners of a TH42PHD6!!!!!! DVD picture quality is superb, as are some sky channels (not all though!). Just watched Blade 2 via sky with Dolby Digital on and it was as good as DVD. Christmas came early this year :)

M

7. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Contar
    I must just say personally I would not always buy from the cheapest supplier. Have a quick look around the forums, some suppliers do not have the best of reputations when dealing with issues, (who your contract will normally be with, not the supplier for the first 12 months).
    One supplier that I was considering buying an LCD from as they beat the other internet shops by 20% does not answer phone calls or email queries before purchase according to one thread.
    That is not a promising start.

Re the PHD6, normally the magazines ignore it as the manufacturer has not defined it as a consumer product. So no reviews will ever appear in the UK.
    I must say it's generally superb, and only fails when Sky does. There are no artefacts, apart from the rare occasion when I know it's due to the weather.

Steve:clap: :clap: :clap:
    P.S. - you should try - AVSALES - very good service, always helpful.