1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Hi-Fi - it's a funny old world

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pcookie, Jan 15, 2003.

1. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    After last months Gallo debacle in What Hi-Fi, it's nice to see them come to their senses and give the B&W VM1's a gold 5 star rating. IMO they are truly the best sub £1000 system on the market. What I can't understand is why it's taken them over a year to review these speakers. I heard them a year ago and have been singing their praises ever since.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I read this in WHF earlier today.

I bought 2 VM1's as rears in February 2002, along with 601S3's as fronts, and an LCR60S3 centre. My wife and I are expecting our first child in June, so I decided it would be prudent to lose the big speakers and go for something that was more discreet, took up less space and wall-mountable to avoid rug-rat damage in the months to come.

My initial plan was to junk the whole lot and got for the Gallos, keeping my Q150E sub (which I'm very happy with) - I demo'd them and was impressed, but the cost was prohibitive for me. I also demoed the KEF eggs and wasn't overly impressed with these.

I then decided to get 3 more VM1's (costing only £330 for the 3). What a superb system they now make - the are elegant, sound very, very good (superb treble and mid-range), and integrate exceptionally well with the REL. I'm massively impressed and cannot for the life of me work out why they've been ignored by the hi-fi/AV press until now. I know there are a couple of other owners on these forums (Klee being one), and that they rate them just as highly. To my ears they are the equal of the Gallos (**dons flameproof suit and retires to a safe distance**)

Of course, much as we deride WHF here, this is likely to mean that B&W sell for more of the VM1's now.........

3. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Dear Radiohead
    Glad you like them so much. Without wanting to get into a VM1 v Gallo bun fight, I would say that the Gallos have the potential to sound better given the right partnering gear, however the difference in price (£400) between the the two systems makes it an unfair comparison. For the money, I think direct competitors like the KEF eggs show just how good the B&W's are - especially with music. Spread the word, and good luck to B&W for producing such an outstanding an innovative product.

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I should have mentioned I'm using a Marantz SR7200 receiver.

My personal feeling is that, good as the Gallos are, they're a little overpriced.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Radiohead,

I can't work out from your first post, quite what is the quote from What Hifi and what are your own words.

It reads to me that you have been using a pair of B&W VM1 as rear speakers for eleven months but hav erecently purchased some more to use at the front.

What confuses me is your comment that " I'm massively impressed and cannot for the life of me work out why they've been ignored until now" when it appears that the person who has ignored them most is yourself as you have had them behind your ears for nearly a year.

Or am I reading it wrongly.

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    You're reading it wrongly - although re-reading it I can see how you thought what you did - I have edited the post.

;)

None of what I wrote is from WHF - all my own thoughts and words. I've used 2 VM1's as rears for 11 months, and recently bought another 3 for fronts to make the room more child-proof.

When I said "I'm massively impressed and cannot for the life of me work out why they've been ignored until now", I meant that, when people/magzines/forums are discussing sub/sat options in the £800-£1000 bracket, I can't understand why the VM1's aren't mentioned more often (such as the KEF eggs are, for instance).

Is that clearer?

:)

7. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are they like as a two channel stereo pair ( using the sub as well) for music.
    I currently have EPOS ES 14s and would like some opinions, if you two young to know the 14's, well, I'm to damn old.
    Bet I'm older than uncle eric?!

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Only Methuselah is older than Uncle Eric

9. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Excellent, particularly the mid-range - I would say they have a typical B&W sound - fairly neutral and not at all demanding of an amp.

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually most audiophiles consider the "typical" B&W sound to be quite warm (which is not neutral).
    Of course, thats not to say this warm "flavour" is displeasing. To many its not. Personally, I don't like flavours in speakers. The less the better. The smallest speaker I've ever come across to show a neutral character is the Anthony Gallo's Nucleus Micro.
    The largest speaker I've heard without flavour are the Dunlavy SC-V's as used in Gary Rebers WSR Lab.
    Heres something to chew on from a while ago.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41939&highlight=speaker+flavour

11. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Maybe - but I'd say something like Tannoy would be more typically thought of as "warm".

But then I don't class myself as an audiophile, just an enthusiast. Music is my passion, not equipment.