1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Hi-Fi Group Test

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by trogette, Feb 7, 2005.

1. trogette

trogette
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my copy of What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision mag today. The dlp group test features:

Scores Contrast Ratio

Samsung SP50L7HX 5/5 2500:1
    RD50 5/5 2000:1
    46WM48 4/5 1500:1
    Thomson 50DLY 3/5 1000:1

The reviews were not very indepth. No mention of RD50 R1 problems. They conclude SP50 as clear winner with RD50 close behind. Say Tosh lacks image impact and depth. Thomson is just so-so.

2. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I think I'd pretty much go along with those scores.
    Shocking that there was no mention of the RD50 R1 problems though and why no Sagems

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any UK group test that did'nt include the Sagem 50 has to be toilet paper :rolleyes:

4. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    What Hi-Fi has always intrigued me to the point of laughing at it. I used to thrive on reading stuff from "Hi-Fi Choice" years ago, with such acclaimed writers as Alvin Gold etc, then picking up a copy of What Hi-Fi and comparing the reviews of then hi-end audio equipment.

WHF, is a typical mass produced periodical whose reviews(ers) cannot or will not ever match those wh write for the likes of Home Cinema Choice.

We all have our opinions on such things, but I am afraid my opinions are BLUNT!

Funny how HCC reviewed the SAGEM ages ago, and have regularly updated that review, WHF reviewed it once and slated it.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I agree with you Mose, what hifi just give everything an 4 or 5 out of 5. My prefered choice of magazine is home cinema choice.

However I must agree with their comments on the Toshiba DLP set, saying it 'lacks image impact and depth'.

6. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mose I know what you mean though I was particularily interested to read your views on the different mags. I used to be an HCC regular but found the magazine got worse with far less reviews and a poor reference section in the back that was not updated enough. Its no good having a ref section will old stuff in my opinion.

I use WHF due to the pages of reference reviews in the back not so much from the aspect of looking at the scores but more for a listing of products in that category etc etc as I find the other mags lacking.

I find that What Video and Widescreen TV is a good read too and I believe Hails from the same ppl as HCC but to be honest there are so many out there its got a little crazy. Indeed the HCC ppl have 5 diff mags, HCC, What Video and Widescreen, What Home Cinema, Essential HiFi Home Cinema and What Plasma.

My biggest gripe is when mags ignore something which I feel is of huge importance like DLP Rear Pro TVs. Maybe its coz I don't own a Plasma but I am sick and tired of seeing page after page of Plasma's and LCD TVs and you have to wait months to see a review of a rear pro DLP set. And then their reference section has 1 or no mention of Rear Pro TVs!!!

If you look at the 'Group' Test that Troggers mentions above, I would say where is the Samsung 46L3HX or is it basically a 50inch group test with the Tosh slotted in as they only seem to have one set in the UK market??

Even during a review of the Tosh 46DLP in What Video and Widescreen TV Feb 05 it says Also Consider Samsung SP50 and Sagem Axium but I would say that is totally incorrect and should read Samsung SP46L3HX as one of those in the same category, screen size and price bracket?? Sometimes I wonder what these mags are doing!!

Just for ref they said this about the Tosh:

5/5 PQ
    5/5 Sound
    4/5 Features
    5/5 Ease of Use
    5/5 Value

Whats Good:
    Picture mostly, sound, price, connectivity

Whats Bad:
    Fizzing over some movement, can exaggerate MPEG noise

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I always take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt..

And when they claim such ludicrous Contrast Ratio values, you know they are are just pulling the wool over your eyes..

Just in case anyone is wondering what I am on about, one of the sets achieves a CR of 2500:1, which is the 'theoretical' maximum the DLP unit can produce in laboratory conditions.. this is impossible to achieve when actually in a TV..

And it seems the Contrast Ratio's would also be responsible for the 'image depth' quotes, poor contrast = 'flat' image..

They should have set them up using Video Essentials/AVIA or similar to give correct grey scale performance, which gives the optimum settings for watching films, then measured CR and compared the sets.. although all of them would struggle to achieve a 1000:1 contrast ratio in this situation... which is perfectly normal..

8. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Agreed - especially if you measure pinches with wheelbarrows.

I reckon mag reviews are b/s.
    There, I said it.

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read the review tonight wasn't too bad apart from omitting the Sagem 50" and the cheaper Samsung models.
    Have to agree with their conclusion that DLP kick's Plasma's butt.
    Plasma might be an endangered species this time next year. :devil:

10. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    troggers,

i bought a tosh 46wmp48p, initially i was looking at plasma, but ended up dissapointed with pq ( pioneer 435's aside ), my interest in dlp rear pro was originally piqued by the review in what widescreen blah, they gave it a great review, i couldnt test one myself, but looked at what people were saying on this forum, theres no doubt in my mind that my dlp rear pro is far better than most of the plasmas ive seen ( again pioneer aside ), they dont suffer from screen burn so much or any of the other problems, and there are many.

I agree with other members here rear pro is badly overlooked in the tv market, thanks to the terrible set ups in most stores, you cant get 46" in any other format for less.

11. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I think its more a question of the market being geared for plasma than ignoring DLP.
    There are a lot of (relatively, and actually) expensive plasma screens out there yet to be sold.
    DLPs maybe an example of the Emperors' new clothes. A lot of plasmas to shift from an overhung market - and lots of them don't have the 'right' connectivity. Sell 'em for the best price you can get and then churn the market and get folks to buy Plasma/LCD with the right connectivity. Then hit them with SED/OLED.
    Lotsacashthatway.
    'They' want them shifted before they take huge losses/have to scrap loads of them. If you can hang on to buy ther are some bargains coming down the road.

Every enthusiast magazine (TV, Stereo,Cars, whatever) always seem to say 'There has never been a better time to buy.'
    Patently untrue.
    Caveat Emptor.

Hey, lets be careful out there.

12. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Is there actually any UK source of the Thomson sets?
    A search on the web didn't bring up anything.
    Thomson also list a smaller 44" HD DLP set.

They are one of the most attractive looking boxes (IMHO) - but the what-hi review says the 50DLY has lots of flaws which I guess rules it out - but I take anything what-hifi say with a pinch of salt...

13. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey Guys, anybody know where i can get a copy of the What Hi Fi Sound & Vision mag from - is it still in the shops?? I'm particularly interested in reading the RD50 review - does anybody have an electronic copy by any chance?? :rolleyes:

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL..... Are you getting rid of the Tosh soni? :eek:

15. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Just read it, reply posted there :)

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't bother soni i havent seen any in depth reviews in any of the AV mags/rags of any DLP sets the what hi fi review was pretty bad it included the Thomson but omited the Sagem 50, has anybody got the Thomson
    :suicide:

Have a look at the quality of a camera review you can get on the web
    here's a link to a review of the Canon D20 SLR

Steve's Digicams