What Hi-Fi Award Winners History

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoraknophobe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a list of the What Hi-Fi annual award winners going back 5 or 6 years? I've tried the mag. but to no avail.

Cheers.

Don't the same products win every year?as in Cyrus,Monitor Audio,oh and did I forget QED cables.:)

I have bought every monthly copy since 1993.I just love it:D I have always bought their recommendations and never been disappointed.They must be doing something right with about (I think) 100,000 readers and possibly the longest(I think) surviving a/v mag. in this side of the world.
Anyway,what do you want to know in particular,Neil?and I will dig it up for you.

Brian,

I'll tell you what I'm looking to do. I want to upgrade my kit in general terms, but as I can't afford all the new stuff, I'm looking at buying either second hand kit , e.g. from ebay, or new, older models from retailers, as these will still likely be better than what I have now. To get the best value I'm thinking that past award winners would be a good place to start my search, as lilke you, I tend to put some faith into these awards. I'm not saying they're perfect, but at the end of the day I don't think they'd rate something as an award winner which another mag would rate as a complete dud.

So, I appreciate your offer, although a complete list would be good.

If I can't get that from anyone here, perhaps you could start by telling me the best floor standing speakers (not high end stuff!) since 2000 or so?

Cheers.

Don't the same products win every year?as in Cyrus,Monitor Audio,oh and did I forget QED cables.:)

Thing is I have heard the cyrrus amp and cd players and there not bad but not really that much better to my ears than similar priced equivalents. However there stuff is damn ugly they look like shoe boxes.

Unfortunately WHF seem to forget a rather basic point, which is that different listeners like different things. So whilst their reviewer might prefer Cyrus, that doesn't mean that it's necessarily better than say a Naim component. WHF are terrible for recommending the "best products" as against really explaining the differences so that we as consumers can buy things that are to our taste.

I remember only too well buying a Cyrus 2 at the recommendation of a mag, only to have a dem a year later against an early Nait, which IMO completely caned the Cyrus. Again, for some users, they might prefer the Cyrus, but of course that was never quite explained in the mag.

In short, take everything said and written with a pinch of salt. Buy based upon what YOU like the sound of.

Sterophile do (or used to do) a similar list

Here you are Neil

Year. Recommended.
2000 ProAc Studio 125(1000) KEF Model THREE-TWO(2250)
2001 KEF Reference One-Two(1200)
2002 Spendor S8 (1700)
2003 PMC OB1 (2450)
2004 Spendor S5e (1095)
2005 KEF iQ5 (400) Dali Ikon 6(900) ProAc Studio 140 (1400)
2006 KEF iQ5 ( 400) ProAc Studio 140 (1400)

The above are either outright winners or highly recommended .There are even more standmounts which I will list if required.The bracketed figure is the recommended price.The s/mounts were often the outright winner.

If the "What Hi-Fi" cynics wish, I will list the cable winners ..... especially
the very expensive digital ones:D:D

What hifi? just confuse people with the star system,and giving people the false idea the technology is changing and getting better every six months.

I also find the award winners tend to be on the bright side also for me.But going back to the original post,there is some excellent kit,that was £1000 when new 4 years ago going for around £300 now.

Personally I would chose a standmounter over a floorstander that was under £1000 when new,better imaging,less room interaction problems,to make a good floorstander I think personally can't be done a budget level without huge compromises.

I think you would benefit from visiting some of the smaller independant stores and have a look at what they are selling. Buying one item and then trying to match the rest of what you buy to it is a nightmare. The smaller dealers (worth their salt) will have listened to all sorts of combinations and will have a fair idea whet sounds good together in a system.

I have the system below and just changing the cables in it turned it from a system I really like to one that would give me a headache after 10 min.

What hifi recommend Cyrus equipment but I've tried it twice now (once recently and once 10 years ago) and it was the worst hifi I ever heard.

Once you have an idea of what you like see what you can get 2nd hand. Some dealers know people who are trying to sell so they can upgrade - they may be able to point you in the direction of someone who has the kit you finally decide on. The dealer may not make anything out of you now but may sell to the guy you buy from or sell to you in a few years when you are rich and famous!

Be honest with them and they will appreciate it but don't take advantage of their good nature.

I've always thought Hi Fi Choice was a little more balanced in its reviews. What Hi Fi tends to rave over a certain product for a while and then grab the next thing along with equal enthusiasm. Logically if such huge advances had actually taken place then listening to 70s bits of kit like Leak, SME or Quad should now sound like 2 kids banging a tin can. However, they don't.

My speakers were built in the 70s and still have a wonderful almost lazy effortlessness (ok Castle kindly did a bass speaker swap at a very reasonable price when the rubber perished on the old ones back in the 90s and cut new foam covers for me but other than that they are original). I accept that new speakers might be a little better and that old Castles are probably not the speakers to listen to Trance music on but the incremental increases over the last 30 years have been just that and not the "away with this old rubbish" that What Hi Fi treats last year's model. I also suspect What Hi Fi of promoting the word "sonically" as some sort of superstitious saleman's obfustication. Hi Fi shops of the 70s and 80s did not say sonically in every second sentence and sonics were the preserve of towed array and submarine engineers......my God I am becoming a grumpy old man! :eek:

Just to add a little more to my view on ***, anyone remember the review of the Marantz PM7200, with the fabled "class A button". According to them, if you pressed the button, the amp was suddenly capable of competing with amps costing £1000. Of course the result was a flood of sales.
Interesting that within a year, a whole bunch of people were selling them on to replace them with amps costing well under £1k.
In the meantime, there's a new "best" amp at the price of the PM7200. Surely the amp replacing the PM7200 must be even better, thus be able to compete with even more expensive £1k amps.

Quite clearly, total verbal garbage, unfortunately put in print.
Just aswell that WHF can't be sued for false pretences.

You need to take the super star recco's with a huge spoon of sugar. Every one has very different ears and requirements. They fail to mention that the hardest bit to get right is the interaction between the speakers and your room.
If you want to try some floor standers, find a local dealer with sat B&W, Neat and spendors on stock and pop down for a listen. Three very different takes on what a speaker should do, all valid, all good, just different. From that you can start to norrow down your choices, Find the speakers you like, that balance into your room, then sort out an amp that can drive them properly. It may be that your current amp is more than capable of handling better speakers.

Here's the standmounts as recommended by the rag....I mean mag.:D
Rec. Price in brackets
Year. Recommended
2000 Mission m71(130);Dynaudio Audience50(577);Mission780(300)
2001 W/dale Diamond8.1(120);B&W DM303(180);DynaudioAud.52(557);B&W CDMINT(750);Mission780(300)
2002 A/Energy Evo One(180);B&WDM602 S3(300);Quad 11L(379);Dynaudio Aud.52(557);ATC SCM12(999)
2003 Monitor Audio BronnzeB2(200);Quad 11L(379);Dynaudio Aud.52(624);ATC SCM12(1000)
2004 W/daleDiamond9.1(180);Quad 11L(379);AVI NeutronIV(500);A/EnergyAE111(2000);
2005 W/daleDiam.9.1(180);EposM12.2(450);B&W 805S(1600)
2006 QAcoustics1010(100);M/Audio BronzeBR2(200);ATC SCM12(850);B&W 805S(1600);

Hi all,

been away a bit so sorry no replies to the differing opinions here.

THE major issue I have with much of the good, solid advice given here is that in the Highlands of Scotland, we don't really have the quantity or type of local dealer that is being suggested. I'd be a bit wary of asking them for advice on second hand kit, 'cos it's a small market as it is.

Re WHF, I do take the recs with a pinch of salt, but it's a starting point. Of course, as WHF are very quick to repeatedly point out, ultimately you must use your own ears to decide.

Cheers

Unfortunately WHF seem to forget a rather basic point, which is that different listeners like different things. So whilst their reviewer might prefer Cyrus, that doesn't mean that it's necessarily better than say a Naim component. WHF are terrible for recommending the "best products" as against really explaining the differences so that we as consumers can buy things that are to our taste.

I remember only too well buying a Cyrus 2 at the recommendation of a mag, only to have a dem a year later against an early Nait, which IMO completely caned the Cyrus. Again, for some users, they might prefer the Cyrus, but of course that was never quite explained in the mag.

In short, take everything said and written with a pinch of salt. Buy based upon what YOU like the sound of.

Totally agree with you about WHF, they like to have a winner. I used to like WHF then I discovered more other magazines like Hifi Choice which I noticed were often recommending other products. It turned out in one particular case a CD player I had bought which was a WHF award winner did not sound as good to me as a HFC recommendation.

I have lost a lot of respect for WHF over the years because of this. They also seem to avoid stating any negative points of a 5 star test winner, when other magazines tell you the whole story. You get a more rounder picture with HFC or HFW. They also dont bore you with Cyrus so much. Those silver Cyrus boxes look horrible. I used to have a black one and got seriously bored of looking at the thing. It was the Cyrus 5 amp, which WHF gave 5 stars and HFC did not like so much. HFC were more accurate.

I have bought every monthly copy since 1993.I just love it:D I have always bought their recommendations and never been disappointed.They must be doing something right with about (I think) 100,000 readers and possibly the longest(I think) surviving a/v mag. in this side of the world.
Anyway,what do you want to know in particular,Neil?and I will dig it up for you.

Hi Brian,

I just stumbled across your post above and was wondering if you would be able to do me a favour? I am trying to find out some information on the What Hi Fi Awards from 1993 and 1997, if your able to help I would be extremely grateful.

What I am looking for is the Category and Product of the year awards for Interconnects and Speaker Cables?

Ali

Hi,
Just to add a little more to my view on ***, anyone remember the review of the Marantz PM7200, with the fabled "class A button". According to them, if you pressed the button, the amp was suddenly capable of competing with amps costing £1000. Of course the result was a flood of sales.

To be fair, it is difficult to find true Class A Amps for less than £1000, or possibly even £2000. The point is, the Marantz was quite cheap for me and it gives you the Quarter A feature for much less than the original 70s/80s models.

The consumer magazines do have some effect on sales though. I never thought recent Pioneer Hifi was that popular until I saw all the secondhand A400 models for sale. They still seem to be popular after nearly 20 years, mainly thanks to the reviews.

Hi,

To be fair, it is difficult to find true Class A Amps for less than £1000, or possibly even £2000. The point is, the Marantz was quite cheap for me and it gives you the Quarter A feature for much less than the original 70s/80s models.

The consumer magazines do have some effect on sales though. I never thought recent Pioneer Hifi was that popular until I saw all the secondhand A400 models for sale. They still seem to be popular after nearly 20 years, mainly thanks to the reviews.

You will find occasional Krell KSA50s for around £800-1000,and very rarely an absolute bargain like a KSA80 for a bit over £1200,so it can be done,especially if you are willing to wait.

Alex,
You will find occasional Krell KSA50s for around £800-1000,and very rarely an absolute bargain like a KSA80 for a bit over £1200,so it can be done,especially if you are willing to wait.

Are those secondhand prices? I was thinking mainly of Sugden or one of those Tube Amps. I've not seen any Class A types besides my brother's JVC, and that was one of those Super A types (ie. less expensive and not the real thing).

Alex,

Are those secondhand prices? I was thinking mainly of Sugden or one of those Tube Amps. I've not seen any Class A types besides my brother's JVC, and that was one of those Super A types (ie. less expensive and not the real thing).

Yes....but do bear in mind that the original KSAs are now over 20yrs old.

about as old as this thread then...

Yes, for some reason there have been more resurrections recently than the last scene in Thriller.

Wooden stake please Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom