What Headphones Are You Using?

I

ipodstudio

Always a popular thread: I'll start off with Sennheiser HD 650s:smoke:

sennhd650.jpg

Hmm....can't get this image to load no matter what I do...is something turned off in the code? Attachments, perhaps?

Hi there....Sennheiser 565 here....keep meaning to buy a set of 650s but never get round to it.
These sound lovely with a decent amp(as I'm sure yours must also!)

BTW, any of you guys and gals who are interested in headphones, be sure to stop by the ipod studio
In the "headphones gallery", located in the "photos" section, there are over 100 different images. There are also galleries of headphone amps, portable speakers, PADs and several others. I run that site and anyone here is more than welcome to come look
:smashin:

Sennheiser PX100 for the CD Walkman

Sennheiser HD420 for the real Hifi

As it happens, I'm looking for a superlative headphone amplifier for the Linn system; the Kairn Preamp has plenty of "line level" outputs so I can use one of them to feed the headphone amp.

so what does the team think?

Senn HD600's with Cardas lead and a Sugden Headmaster amp.

Originally posted by suzywong
Sennheiser PX100 for the CD Walkman

Sennheiser HD420 for the real Hifi

As it happens, I'm looking for a superlative headphone amplifier for the Linn system; the Kairn Preamp has plenty of "line level" outputs so I can use one of them to feed the headphone amp.

so what does the team think?

Hi suzy...depends on how much you want to spend!.....in the cheaper price bracket,the Creek amp is well regarded,as are the MF X-cans(now onto their 3rd revision).
Getting into the upper bracket,the Slee,Earmax and Sugden all have their strengths,and for me,the Earmax was the choice,with which I've been very happy(smooth,deep bass,well controlled and immense detail,but limited in maximum output compared to the Earmax Pro or the others I've mentioned).
If you want to go the whole hog,the upper levels of the Headroom range will satisfy your requirements for the highest quality,but at a price(if you look at the Max or Blockhead)

Also,don't forget Stax....the electrostatics are superb in many ways,and would have been one of my choices if I hadn't already got a set of dynamic phones.
A friend has just bought the Stax 3030,and is very pleased indeed.

A few links

Earmax www.audiophileclub.co.uk
Headroom http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php
MF X-Cans www.musicalfidelity.com
Headmaster www.jesugden.co.uk

It's always a problem finding a place that will demo a number of these,but worth looking before buying,as they all have very different characters.

...of course, it will also depend whether you're going to go solid state or tube....;)

HD600 with meier-audio cable
Etymotic er4p+4s cable

porta corda mk2
mint cmoy.

thinking of getting the headroom total bithead when its released.

headroom

Senn H600, running with the Creek OBH-11 amp.

Sony MDR-CD3000

AUT_4836.JPG

Driven by Perreaux SXH1 Amp

app.jpg

And it sounds absolutely fantastic. I have been experimenting with headphones for quite a while now, and IMO the Sony CD3000's are easily the best headphones I've heard (and I have owned the new HD650 as well). The Sony's are often overlooked because they are not available in the UK, but that is a shame, believe me. Same goes with the Perreaux.

I use AKG K-501's, and am pretty delighted with them. I've stuck with AKG for more than a decade (originally I used K240's).

I've got Sennheiser HD590 for listening to late night movies.

Why are so many people using headphone amps? Is this for music, movies or for PC's?

Originally posted by StevieDvd

Why are so many people using headphone amps? Is this for music, movies or for PC's?

Music, essentially...many headphones require an amp in order to get the best out of them.

Ergo model 2 phones for me as I found them more like listening to speakers than any others I tried. No amp as yet as just haven't got around to it and dealers don't seem to like carrying them as a stock item.

Sony MDR-CD3000 purchased when available from Sony UK in 1994.
Naim Headline / Hi-Cap / SLIC.
Have various others but these are my favourites.

Originally posted by StevieDvd

All of the above:smashin:
Put's my home cinema to shame only I do miss the extra dimension a subwoofer gives you in a good action movie:(
I couldn't believe the level of detail, image and depth my headphone amp gives.
Essential imo if you have good headphones:thumbsup:

Beyerdynamic DT250 200ohms at work with a musical fidelity Xcan V2 with mullard valves ( arcam alpha 7 cd player doing the duities or my intellistation accessing the company jukebox).

Senheisser HD600s at home ( I used to have these at work but people complained about the noise leaking from them...so after 5 years I bought the beyers above and took the HD600s home!

Beyer Dynamic 250s and trying out two amps at the mo, Creek OBH 21 and X-Cans V2.

I like the X-Cans better, slightly more volume and a fraction less "electronically processed" sound (as they should, being a valve amp!)

But I have to say I'm well and truly disappointed with the 250s. I wanted a nice lush sound that just washes over you, relaxingly, whilst also letting you pin point every single instrument, and that has oodles of deep bass.

The 250s, with a track from the Billy Idol CD, the bass is there, and deep and low, but it overmodulates everything else and distorts all other sound coming from them. I'm assuming this is cause they're a closed back design.

Considering drilling loads of holes in the back of em :)

They just don't seem designed to take the volume I'd like, and have a subdued bass response.

Fraggle. Could they be faulty? The DT250's are meant to be very good. Are they the 80 ohm versions or the superior 250 ohm versions?

Originally posted by pbirkett
Fraggle. Could they be faulty? The DT250's are meant to be very good. Are they the 80 ohm versions or the superior 250 ohm versions?

Hi,

They're the 80 ohm version.

I couldn't find any info on what ohmage to buy in spite of searching round the net a lot, what I found was a lot of recommendations for the 250s.

I wasn't intending to buy an amp at first, but when the best thing in the house for driving the phones was the laptop I thought "this is stupid, I didn't buy a dear pair of phones to listen to MP3s!" so tried one. And then tried another.

To be honest I wish I'd stuck with the £20 pair of small phones I bought 5 years ago. Everything I've bought lately it just seems a case of "the more it costs the worse it'll sound" :suicide: :thumbsdow :mad: :(

I'm just praying my latest purchase doesn't follow the same path or I'll just sell the whole damn lot!

Nightmare mate.

Although the 250 ohm versions are better, I would still personally have expected 80 ohm ones to sound far better than £20 headphones.

Took me a long time to find headphones I liked mind, so I can sort of understand the frustration.

Originally posted by pendulum
HD600 with meier-audio cable
Etymotic er4p+4s cable
Hi pendulum
Was the meier-audio cable an improvement over the stock HD600 cable?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom